Peavey T-40 Date of Manufacture

You mean there are other basses? :D This is where those discussions go.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Peavey T-40 Date of Manufacture

Postby jglunt2112 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:29 pm

I recently took a Peavey T-40 in as payment for some work I did for a friend. She has no idea when this bass was built, and I'd like to find out. Does anybody know if there's a website where I can match up the serial number with a manufacture date on an old Made in USA Peavey? I tried posting on Talk Bass, but as usual, I found that a waste of time, so I'd really appreciate it if someone had some info. Thanks!..Jim
jglunt2112

Re: Peavey T-40 Date of Manufacture

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:37 am

Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jglunt2112 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:54 am

Wow, Ken, when it comes to basses, G&L or otherwise, you just seem to know everything, or where to go to get everything. I never realized how many basses and guitars Peavey made/marketed/sold. I actually planned to sell this T-40, but when I researched it and saw what it could do and put it through its paces, I was so impressed with it that I think I'll keep it, for a little while anyway. It's a Made in USA bass, and the prices of these seem to be going up. The controls make it a complex bass for a guy who likes to turn up the volume and tone and play, but they're not that bad once I started messing with it. This one sat in its case in a closet untouched for 12 years, and it feels like it was set up yesterday. Thanks very much for your help :!: ...Jim
jglunt2112

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:53 pm

jglunt2112 wrote:Wow, Ken, when it comes to basses, G&L or otherwise, you just seem to know everything, or where to go to get everything.

It's all in the Google-Fu. :D And we got a lucky hit up at the top.

I never realized how many basses and guitars Peavey made/marketed/sold. I actually planned to sell this T-40, but when I researched it and saw what it could do and put it through its paces, I was so impressed with it that I think I'll keep it, for a little while anyway.

As I recall, the T-40 was pretty well regarded. About the only negative I heard was about weight, though that will vary from bass to bass.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby bigtone23 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:38 am

Yeah, the T40 has had the biggest price jump of the older Peaveys.
They are heavy, not just because of the northern ash bodies and maple neck (which usually weigh in around 6-8 pounds on their own), but the hardware and electronics. The bridge is a pound, the pickups about 1/2 pound each, the 4 knobs weigh about a 1/2 pound, tuners are about a pound...
Unless it's a later version with a solid colored, painted poplar body.
A cool trick is to repurpose the phase switch as a master coil split. Less complicated than the spin-a-split and you benefit from a more open sounding humbucker tone as well as getting the full range of the tone control in single coil mode.
bigtone23

Postby jglunt2112 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:45 am

You're right about the weight of the T-40--not something I'm likely to play at a 4-hour gig. And it's huge. It looks more like a bass made in Texas, where everything is bigger, than in Mississippi. I own and occasionally play a 1980 vintage MSA pedal steel guitar, which was built in Texas. It is large and heavy and overbuilt like this T-40, but everything still works perfectly. This bass is the most prevalent version--natural ash in a satin finish. Since I'm keeping it, I ordered a custom tortoise pickguard for it. I thought the black pickguard just didn't enhance the beautiful grain on the body, plus I've always been one to want to make a bass specific to me, so it's just personal taste. I'll keep the black pickguard to restore it to original if I ever decide to sell it. I am very intrigued by the repurposing of the phase switch. The only disadvantage I see in it is that now you can adjust each pickup's coil configuration individually, so if you want single on neck and 'bucker on bridge (or whichever), you can do that. Maybe adding a second switch would be in order. If you know where I could get a wiring diagram of such a mod, please let me know. Thanks, guys!...Jim
jglunt2112

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:02 am

jglunt2112 wrote:Since I'm keeping it, I ordered a custom tortoise pickguard for it. I thought the black pickguard just didn't enhance the beautiful grain on the body, plus I've always been one to want to make a bass specific to me, so it's just personal taste. I'll keep the black pickguard to restore it to original if I ever decide to sell it.

Now that you mention it, we can only imagine "the beautiful grain on the body" and the "pickguard".

I know! A picture or two would take all the imagination out of it. Then we'd know about "the beautiful grain on the body" and the "pickguard". :twisted:

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby TDR1138 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:43 pm

Are we talking about a bass?

I see no bass?

I recently took a pink fire-breathing unicorn in as payment for some work I did for a friend. She has no idea when this pink fire-breathing unicorn was born, and I'd like to find out..... :D
TDR1138

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:39 pm

TDR1138 wrote:I recently took a pink fire-breathing unicorn in as payment for some work I did for a friend.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jglunt2112 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:53 pm

Man, you guys are tough. I took a pic of it with my phone, but just moments ago a purple troll ran by and snatched my phone. I'm giving chase, but he's unbelievably fast. Ken, he's heading west, so watch out for a purple troll carrying a cell phone running down the 10 with a fat ol' bald guy chasing him. I wouldn't complain if you tripped him...Jim (Man, I'm outta shape!)
jglunt2112

Next

Return to The Others