Epiphone Thunderbird bass

You mean there are other basses? :D This is where those discussions go.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Epiphone Thunderbird bass

Postby jglunt2112 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:10 pm

I was doing some window shopping online and came across a slightly odd duck--a neck-thru Epiphone Thunderbird bass with active pickups (or so the add said). It looked like it came from the factory that way. It had 4 pots in the configuration of most Gibson electric guitars instead of the usual 3-in-a-row that T-bird basses have. It also did not have the T-bird symbol on the pickguard that Thunderbirds do, but the thru-neck was definitely an Epiphone. Has anyone seen or heard of one of these odd ducks anywhere? ...Jim
jglunt2112

Re: Epiphone Thunderbird bass

Postby TDR1138 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:33 pm

Yeah, they made a 4 and 5 string version that were billed as the Thunderbird Pro-IV and Pro-V or something. I think it was a 2-band active EQ. I've never played one, but have heard that they're well built but sound more like an active 2HB bass than an actual Tbird. Smooth and snappy as opposed to big and wooly. I remember them looking real nice with neck through and natural finishes.
TDR1138

Postby jglunt2112 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:19 pm

Yeah, this one, if the pictures are to be believed, is a really nice looking bass. The person who is selling this has apparently just joined Reverb and obviously has no experience in photographing an instrument. He just provided a single front and single rear shot, no closeups, so it's difficult to tell for certain. It is indeed a beautiful natural finish with a 5-piece thru-neck. Must be two volumes, one for each pickup, plus the bass and treble controls. Asking $400 and is open to offers. It's tempting, but I need yet another bass like I need a hole in the head. And I know from experience these things are REALLY LONG. I'm a small guy with short arms, so I'm not sure I'd ever get used to playing one. Thanks!...Jim
jglunt2112

Postby TDR1138 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:35 pm

$400 seems reasonable.
You can learn to stretch.
TDR1138

Postby jglunt2112 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:20 pm

Heck yeah, that's why they invented yoga, right? :lol: ...Jim
jglunt2112

Return to The Others