Tuner Cover on a Steinberger Bass

You mean there are other basses? :D This is where those discussions go.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Tuner Cover on a Steinberger Bass

Postby jglunt2112 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:17 am

I was just offered a beautiful little Steinberger Spirit XT25 for a song--pun in tended--and I couldn't refuse it, Steinbergers being my 2nd favorite bass. However, the tuners on this headless wonder are nearly impossible to turn. I want to take the cover off to lubricate the tuners, but I can't figure out how to do that. Does anybody know, or does anybody know where I can find out how to remove that cover? I've tried YouTube but got no help there, and the Steinberger Forum is virtually worthless. (Oops, did I type that out loud?)...Jim
jglunt2112

Re: Tuner Cover on a Steinberger Bass

Postby Ken Baker » Sat May 09, 2020 2:32 pm

I believe that the tuners need to complete unscrewed and removed. There may be a saddle lock style setscrew on the side of the bridge that needs to be loosened.

I got that info from here and here, and a little creative digging on other sites.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: Tuner Cover on a Steinberger Bass

Postby jglunt2112 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:36 pm

As always, thank you, Ken. Years ago, I had the bridge/tuner unit on my Steinberger XL2 apart to replace one of the string cradles that had stripped out. I lubricated all of those all-thread units after replacing that part, then put it back together, all with the help of the only licensed Steinberger repairman in the state of New Mexico. That was in a different century--literally--and I have no idea where that guy is. This bridge/tuner looks exactly the same. There's just no simple, straight-forward way of taking that cover off or removing the bridge/tuner to get to the all-thread tuners themselves, and I don't remember how I finally got that other tuner assembly apart. I still have that bass, but there's no hint in looking at it how I disassembled it or got it back together. Too bad because I'm sure it's way past due for another lube itself. Thanks again. You've pointed me in the right direction...Jim
jglunt2112

Return to The Others