G&L-less. (Lakie content)

You mean there are other basses? :D This is where those discussions go.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

G&L-less. (Lakie content)

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:56 am

Traded TBBITW for a very nice Lakland Skyline 44-60 (Formerly the JO model). Very nice bass! Came upgraded with a J-Retro preamp. Not too crazy about the J-Retro so I bought an Audere preamp. The one with the Z Modes. VERY nice!!

All in all a terrific bass. I'm not really a "jazz guy" but this bass is quite nice. Keeper?? :lol: But for now it's damn fun and a joy to play.

I AM already missing the MFD magic. Leo just nailed it. SB-1/2? M2000? And straight ol' P would be fun.

Stay tuned...
Mr. Mom

Re: G&L-less. (Lakie content)

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:12 pm

Glad you found something that suits you. I was actually concerned that you'd run into problems. You're pretty discerning.

I've got a Skyline 55-01 that I got from Mal several years ago. Has Nordstrand Big Splits and I dropped in an OBP-3. Nice sounding bass for certain. Not like my Bull (nothing is like my Bull), but nice.

BTW - pics or that 44-60 doesn't exist.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:49 am

Ken Baker wrote:You're pretty discerning.

Mmmmm....That's being polite. More like...Fickle? Opinionated?? Picky as heck??? :D

I am a big Lakland Fan. G&L's and Lakland's are the tops in my book. Never really played a bad USA G&L or a bad Lakland (USA or Skyline). I DO give USA G&L's the edge for being such a great value. Especially used.

Dang....Talking myself into GAS.
Mr. Mom

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:17 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:Mmmmm....That's being polite. More like...Fickle? Opinionated?? Picky as heck??? :D

I'm trying to clean up my act a little. I figure that "discerning" has a much more positive connotation than Gear Slut. OTOH, we have known each other for a few years. :twisted:

Dang....Talking myself into GAS.

Ya see? You're a worse self-enabler than I am!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:32 am

Ken Baker wrote:I'm trying to clean up my act a little. I figure that "discerning" has a much more positive connotation than Gear Slut. OTOH, we have known each other for a few years. :twisted:

HA!! Yeah.....Gear Slut is faaarrrrr more appropriate. :mrgreen:
Mr. Mom

Postby bigtone23 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:00 am

I really like Laklands and have a 55-01 Deluxe fretless. It was my first foray into the brand. I wanted a fretless, active, wide-spaced 5 string and this popped up on C'sL for $400. Despite it not being my color choice (black or green preferred), I couldn't pass that up. The 35" scale does do a great job making the B pop a bit better.
I'm tempted to have the top refinished as I am slightly bothered by the spalted maple, natural woods are not my bag. :)

A black 55-02 was on my short list for quite some time. It's still there, just pushed down a few notches with a couple bass purchases I made recently.
bigtone23

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:39 pm

bigtone23 wrote:The 35" scale does do a great job making the B pop a bit better.

I don't know about that as a generalization. If I compare my 55-01 (as described above) to my L-2500, both using Infeld Superalloys, the G&L has an edge to my ear.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to The Others