Any Ibanez players out there?

You mean there are other basses? :D This is where those discussions go.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Any Ibanez players out there?

Postby DarthCherry » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:57 pm

In addition to my SB-2, I also have an Ibanez SDGR - 24 frets with active p/u & a beautiful "metallic candy apple" red finish.

:D
DarthCherry

Re: Any Ibanez players out there?

Postby adabeie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:52 pm

Nice. Always wanted a new SDGR.. I believe it was the 805, or something like that. I listened to a lot of nu-metal back then. My own, which shall remain mythical because I don't have any photos of it, was an early 80's dark jade/navy sparkle-painted 2+2 Roadstar II I bought for myself from summer job money while in middle school.. It was amazing but the screws and hardware eventually rotted and the basswood(?) body screw threads all got stripped, so it would have cost a pretty penny to repair completely... Fast neck, great action, punchy electronics. Can't say much for the sustain though, despite the Badass-style bridge.

I do miss it on occasion..
adabeie

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:36 am

adabeie wrote:Nice. Always wanted a new SDGR.. I believe it was the 805, or something like that. I listened to a lot of nu-metal back then. My own, which shall remain mythical because I don't have any photos of it, was an early 80's dark jade/navy sparkle-painted 2+2 Roadstar II I bought for myself from summer job money while in middle school.. It was amazing but the screws and hardware eventually rotted and the basswood(?) body screw threads all got stripped, so it would have cost a pretty penny to repair completely... Fast neck, great action, punchy electronics. Can't say much for the sustain though, despite the Badass-style bridge.

I do miss it on occasion..

My son has an SRX-505 (I think?) 5 string. Nice neck, decent electronics, absolutely crappy hardware. The finish is weathering off the bridge and tuners, for one thing. But the damnedest thing is that the saddles only have one height adjuster screw, so after 3-4 years the saddles are twisted, out of adjustment, and no longer adjustable. Why we didn't catch that at time of purchase is beyond me. Ibanez still makes 'em that way too. It's a decent enough bass that we'll probably look for a replacement bridge.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby DarthCherry » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:45 pm

I found the perfect strings for my Ibanez:

Rotosound RS66LDN Nickel Bass Guitar Strings (45 65 85 105)

They really compliment the rosewood fretboard and active electronics. To top it all off, these strings seem to last longer than the D'addario strings that I had on previously. Def. worth checking out!!!

:mrgreen:
DarthCherry

Postby chadhargis » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:38 pm

My Ibanez BTB 1305e Prestige hangs next to my G&L.

The Ibanez wears D'addario nickel wounds which sound fantastic with the 18v Bart pre and pickups. It's 180 degrees polar opposite from my G&L>

The G&L is my "vintage" sounding bass, with flats.

Best of both worlds.
chadhargis

Postby tonymannara » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:53 pm

I generally despise Ibanez. Have never been sure exactly why. For a while while I was following the Dead, Bob Weir played a few of their guitars exclusively. Made for his one of a kind sound within the mix (greatest AND most unique rhythm player ever?), but by itself nothing I cared for much at all.

I have yet to pick up an Ibanez bass that both felt and sounded comfortable to me. Not interested in doing any further research either. Just not my cup of mead.
tonymannara

Postby neepheid » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:16 pm

I've never owned one, but I have recurring covetous thoughts about these:

ATK series 2 pickup variety (400/750/1200) - 750 pictured

Artist

and of course the Musician

*sigh*
neepheid

Postby VileRedFalcon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:26 am

I had a SDGR 500 for a long time, it was realy a great bass. I've always lusted after a fretless roadstar like Sting had.

Ken - I had to put a Badass bridge on mine, and tilt the neck a bit, it was a machine after that!
VileRedFalcon

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 pm

VileRedFalcon wrote:Ken - I had to put a Badass bridge on mine, and tilt the neck a bit, it was a machine after that!

Noted.

We haven't looked all that hard yet, but I'd like to get on that has at least the same sized footprint on the body.

Any oddball dents sticking out from the sides of your Badass bridge?

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby DarthCherry » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:38 pm

I just tried Rotosound monel flats on my Ibanez. The combination of the flat wounds and active pickups is nothing short of amazing. Def. worth a try!

:mrgreen:
DarthCherry

Next

Return to The Others