Any Ibanez players out there?

You mean there are other basses? :D This is where those discussions go.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: Any Ibanez players out there?

Postby PluckyThump » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:55 pm

Yeah I've had a few Ibanez pass through my hands. I like the Roadstar II series from the 80s, they are cheap and good. I also like the ATK, I've got a 1996 ATK500 with a flame Koa top, it's a keeper! Not just a Stingray copy, it's more versatile and has its own character.
Attachments
ATK500.jpg
ATK500.jpg (214.5 KiB) Viewed 12564 times
PluckyThump

Postby DarthCherry » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:45 pm

Very nice!
DarthCherry

Postby TDR1138 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:25 am

I had a friend’s SR-900 for a while, as I was giving it a set-up for him. Really a nice bass, very solid and stable, and real nice looking, too. It’s a discontinued model with a 5-piece neck-through. A little narrow down at the nut for my liking, but the neck was very comfortable in the middle and high ends. My only real gripe was the size of the pickups – it uses some big Bartolini soapbars that could easily be used for a 5-string (or possibly even a 6-string, though not sure). Compared to the typical G&Ls and Fenders that I’m used to, it just felt like anchoring the thumb on the pickup put the thumb far away from the E string. I’m sure I’d get used to it if I played it enough, but it did trip me up a bit. Overall, a pretty nice bass, though.
TDR1138

Postby Narcosynthesis » Wed May 23, 2012 5:08 am

I just traded a couple of SR's for a L-2000 and I do not regret it one bit. Talk about night and day in feel and sound :o

I still have a RB727 (late 80's). It's one that I bought off of the bay years ago. It has seen better days and some day I will give it a quality paint job...

Can anybody recommend some good sounding P/J pickups? I have a set of EMG PJX in there right now but finding a good tone that I can live with is very painstaking.
Narcosynthesis

Postby fatherska » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:58 pm

PluckyThump wrote: "I've got a 1996 ATK500 with a flame Koa top, it's a keeper! Not just a Stingray copy, it's more versatile and has its own character.

That's one nice-looking bass.

Though the ATK's bridge plate looks cool and its large surface area likely contributes to the transfer of string vibrations into the body, the bridge saddles look to my eye like the weak link in that design - not much substance and just sitting atop the bridge plate.

As a bassist who likes his ATK, what to do you think of its bridge design? How does its performance compare to that of a G&L Saddle-Lock bridge or a Stingray Classic bridge (with large surface area and mutes)?
fatherska

Postby bigtone23 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:02 am

I have a couple. As of a few months ago, I had 3. A modified black 1984 RB630, a metallic black RB820 and stock sunburst RB920 both from 1983. I have since sold the RB820 since it was kind of redundant with the 920. I just modded the EMG P/BTS modded 630 with a Peavey T45 pickup and electronics since I didn't need it as my active/roundwound P bass anymore (a 1999 US P Deluxe filled that role). It is too nice feeling and playing of a bass to let sit idle, so a tonal makeover made it unique and usable again.
Here's a photo of the family before the 820 went away and the T45 mod happened to the RB630.
bigtone23

Previous

Return to The Others