Epiphone Jack Casady Signature model

You mean there are other basses? :D This is where those discussions go.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Epiphone Jack Casady Signature model

Postby jglunt2112 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:19 pm

Wow, this particular forum sees little action. I was the last person to post anything here and that was about six months ago. G&L does indeed rock! But this time I have a question about an Epiphone Jack Casady bass. I inquired from the Jack Casady club on Talk Bass, but I thought I'd ask here as well since I find the bass intriguing. If anyone here is familiar with it, have you ever seen one with a chrome pickup cover? I'm looking at buying one off Reverb with a chrome pickup cover. The seller swears the bass is stock in a message on Reverb, so I have his statement, but unless he's really the original owner, how can he know? (It's Morrell Music in Bristol, TN.) There is no low impedance pickup replacement available for it, and of course Epiphone being Epiphone, they carry nothing, so if the pickup has been replaced, it won't be working like the bass is supposed to. So please let me know if you have any knowledge of the pickup on this bass. Thank you!
jglunt2112

Re: Epiphone Jack Casady Signature model

Postby neepheid » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:20 am

Sorry, I'm a bit late to this.

I have owned 3 Epiphone Jack Casady signature basses and they've only ever had cream or black plastic pickup covers as far as I know. I've never seen one with a chrome cover. I've seen pictures of the back of the JCB-1 pickup and it's well epoxied in there so replacing the cover would seem like a difficult job to me.

I'm guessing the bass you're talking about is either long gone or you bought it, so sorry for the late reply.
neepheid

Postby jglunt2112 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:53 pm

I did buy it, only to find out after it was already "in-the-mail" that it was actually a refurb by Gibson/Epiphone and that the pickup looked to be an Epiphone NYT humbucker and that perhaps the Varitone was actually from an EB3. I was prepared to send it back when it arrived and I was disappointed with its sound. However, the doggone thing sounds great, much better than my expectations, and it plays good, but not as good as my G&Ls. I'd been GASsing for a hollowbody bass for years. I'd played a Mosrite Celebrity bass for a while about 50 years ago, traded it off for a P-bass, and have played nothing but solid bodies since. In spite of its odd and unknown hybrid-type status, this one is a keeper. Thank you for responding to my inquiry...better late than never.
jglunt2112

Postby neepheid » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:46 am

jglunt2112 wrote:I did buy it, only to find out after it was already "in-the-mail" that it was actually a refurb by Gibson/Epiphone and that the pickup looked to be an Epiphone NYT humbucker and that perhaps the Varitone was actually from an EB3. I was prepared to send it back when it arrived and I was disappointed with its sound. However, the doggone thing sounds great, much better than my expectations, and it plays good, but not as good as my G&Ls. I'd been GASsing for a hollowbody bass for years. I'd played a Mosrite Celebrity bass for a while about 50 years ago, traded it off for a P-bass, and have played nothing but solid bodies since. In spite of its odd and unknown hybrid-type status, this one is a keeper. Thank you for responding to my inquiry...better late than never.

I'm suspicious of it being an official refurb by Gibson/Epiphone - why wouldn't they put the correct stuff in there? It's not as if they don't have access to it.

In fact, I'm curious about this whole thing - can you post up some pics of the bass?
neepheid

Postby jglunt2112 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:00 pm

Jack Casady 102.jpg
Jack Casady 102.jpg (114.51 KiB) Viewed 18 times

Jack Casady 101.jpg
Jack Casady 101.jpg (93.41 KiB) Viewed 18 times

Here are a couple photos of my Jack Casady Epiphone. The Jack Casady Epiphone has a specially designed low impedance pickup with a 3-position varitone switch. The only two colors of pickups on a Jack Casady are a cream color, or, for a short time on the 25th anniversary of the bass, a black pickup. As you can see, mine is a silver pickup which looks identical to the NYT humbucker on the Epiphone Viola bass. The varitone switch on the Jack Casady has a plate that says 50/250/500, which I'm told represent the impedance the switch is pointed at. Mine says 1/2/3, just like the one on the Epiphone EB-3. Plus, there is no Epiphone "E" logo on the pickguard. I bought this off Reverb from a music store in Bristol, TN. He claimed he had no idea it had been altered from an original Jack Casady. In fact, he said he gets these through his store from time to time and lists them as "used." I know there is (or at least was) a Gibson refurb facility just south of Knoxville, TN. In fact I bought a Steinberger Spirit XT-25 from a dealer in Knoxville a couple years ago who told me he got stuff from that refurb center regularly. Maybe it's not an Epiphone refurb, but whoever refurbed it did a great job. All controls work and it plays and sounds great. On top of that, I prefer the way this silver pickup looks on this black bass.
jglunt2112

Postby jglunt2112 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:51 am

Just a few quick additional comments about my Jack Casady: (1) The serial number inside the bass was changed. (See photo). (2) We assume that a licensed Gibson/Epiphone refurb center would have all the parts to restore a bass accurately, but maybe not. The Jack Casady pickup along with that particular varitone switch are supposedly peculiar to his signature bass. The bass is manufactured overseas. So it's possible that a refurb facility in Tennessee would not have replacement parts readily available. (3) My only regret about my bass is that I can't say its sound accurately represents that bass. While I love the tone of mine, I'd like to run across an un-altered one in a store where I could play it to see just how it compares to mine.
Jack Casady 109.png
Jack Casady 109.png (253.81 KiB) Viewed 11 times
jglunt2112

Return to The Others