L2000 Truss Rod Cracking Fretboard.

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

L2000 Truss Rod Cracking Fretboard.

Postby Cimolini » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:33 pm

Hello,

my truss rod is pushing up through my fretboard as I tighten it causing it to crack. To me, it looks like the bullet/washer is supposed to stop at a ridge in the cavity, but there seems to only be a ridge on the bottom. Maybe from not being drilled on centre? Hopefully I’m explaining it in a way that makes sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P
Attachments
IMG_5604.jpeg
IMG_5604.jpeg (168.56 KiB) Viewed 408 times
IMG_5602.jpeg
IMG_5602.jpeg (174.94 KiB) Viewed 408 times
IMG_5603.jpeg
IMG_5603.jpeg (191.39 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Cimolini

Re: L2000 Truss Rod Cracking Fretboard.

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:40 pm

Cimolini wrote:my truss rod is pushing up through my fretboard as I tighten it causing it to crack. To me, it looks like the bullet/washer is supposed to stop at a ridge in the cavity, but there seems to only be a ridge on the bottom. Maybe from not being drilled on centre? Hopefully I’m explaining it in a way that makes sense.

Looks like you've got the headstock pretty well stripped down.

This is an early neck using the old first generation trussrod. When working correctly, tightening causes compression on the wood which counteracts forward bow from the strings. In some necks the wood isn't as strong as necessary to deal with the compression, and over time crushes under the fingerboard and causes it to blow out and split. This is what happened here. It also appears that the trussrod nut may not be original, as the original would have had a hex socket (allen type).

You might find an experienced luthier who would be willing to take it on, but this is generally considered non-repairable. Sorry.

G&L may be able to make a new neck for you, but it will be expensive (about $700) and takes a while. Contact G&L Repairs for more info.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: L2000 Truss Rod Cracking Fretboard.

Postby Cimolini » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:25 pm

Thanks for the reply Ken.

Not the news I was hoping for, but what can you do.

I will contact G&L and see what options they have for me.

A luthier friend of mine has a couple ideas to try in the meantime.

Thanks again!

Paul
Cimolini

Return to G&L Basses