G&L SB-2 tone mod questions

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

G&L SB-2 tone mod questions

Postby ShaunG&LBass » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:40 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this sight. I reached out to Paul Gagon regarding my questions first and he didn't have a schematic of what I'm trying to do to my SB-2. So here is what my ideas are to see if anyone else has done the mods I'm trying to achieve or something like it.

Mod option 1: Turn the bridge volume pot to a dual stacked vol/tone pot that would allow the tone knob to affect both pickups and use an S-1 volume pot for the neck pickup that would could switch for series/parallel for the P pickup only that way I could still dial in the bridge jazz pickup and tone in either series or parallel modes. I've seen the dual stacked volume for this on here and since I'm new to wiring I am reluctant to just guess on how to figure this out with a dual vol/tone pot and separate volume pot.

Mod option 2: Turn the neck volume pot to a stacked vol/tone(that would work again to affect the tone of both pickups and keep the bridge volume pot as is. This is likely the easiest but all I seem to find is the stacked vol/vol and separate tone option. I have the dual stack vol/tone pot and would like to see if there is a way of using them in this way.

If anyone has any schematics or pictures of doing anything like this I'd be a very happy dude. Any help here is greatly appreciated. I'm going to also post this in the technicalities forum to hopefully find my answer either here or over there.
ShaunG&LBass

Return to G&L Basses