L-2000 : serie mode : weird pickup behaviour

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

L-2000 : serie mode : weird pickup behaviour

Postby Christophec » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:01 am

Hi
I am a happy owner of a 1998 G&L L-2000 (USA) and I am very happy with it.
When I got it two years ago, I shielded the control cavity and I had to resolder a few connections. While doing that I also disconnected the two huge green caps (pot side) to reduce the buzz in serie mode.
And then all was fine... or at least I supposed it was fine :-) .... because yesterday I readjusted the pickup poles height and I found something strange : in serie mode (only)
- when the pickup selector is in the 'neck position', the first row of the bridge poles (neck side) is also active (but the signal is weak)
- when the pickup selector is in the 'bridge position', the first row of the neck poles (neck side) is also active (but the signal is weak)
IS it normal ?
The sound is ok, I am happy but that's funny...
IS it normal ? or did I do something wrong while resoldering some connections ?
Thank you
Christophec

Re: L-2000 : serie mode : weird pickup behaviour

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:56 am

You might open it up and remove those caps. I'm guessing that they have moved and something in there is touching something it shouldn't be.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Christophec » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:50 am

Thank you
I had only disconnected the two caps on the pot side and they were still connected to the switch side. I followed your advise and I removed completely the two caps.
It solved the issue. Thank you:-)
Christophec

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:32 pm

Excellent!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby deltafred » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:41 am

It sounds like the cap leads that you disconnected were still connected together so you were getting a small amount of cross coupling between the pickups.
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby Christophec » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:25 am

yes, that was it.
Christophec

Return to G&L Basses