Help Identifying Bass

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Help Identifying Bass

Postby JGladney » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:10 pm

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, so hopefully I'm doing this correctly. If not, let me know and I'll try again. I recently purchased a Tribute Series bass from a seller on Reverb. The seller has the bass listed as G&L Tribute JB Electric Bass Seafoam Pearl Green on Maple fingerboard #501. I'm waiting for it arrive, so I've been trying to research it online. I can't find any information about this bass. I've contacted the seller and even G and L for more info, but I haven't heard back from either of them. Does anyone know anything about this bass? I find it odd that there isn't any info out there. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but any info is greatly appreciated.
JGladney

Re: Help Identifying Bass

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:15 pm

The Tribute colors change a fair amount. Seafoam Green might be available for a year or so, then it gets changed to Lake Placid Blue or some-such. The underlying guts are the same.

Look here.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby JGladney » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:47 pm

Thanks, Ken. I appreciate the response. Do you know if there's any to determine what year the different colors were offered? The bass was listed as brand new, so I can't imagine it's that old. I'm primarily a guitar player, and there's usually a ton of information about guitars when I do research. Maybe there's just less info about bass guitars?
JGladney

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:03 pm

JGladney wrote:Do you know if there's any to determine what year the different colors were offered? The bass was listed as brand new, so I can't imagine it's that old.

You could try contacting G&L. I have no records here of the Tribute colors and when they were offered. Sorry. It's not at all unusual for the Tributes (basses and guitars) to see changes at pretty much any time.

I'm primarily a guitar player, and there's usually a ton of information about guitars when I do research. Maybe there's just less info about bass guitars?

Not so much less info on basses, but less info on Tribute instruments. The USA stuff is better documented.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby JGladney » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:26 pm

Gotcha. It makes sense that there's less info about the Tribute series. I've reached out to G and L. If I don't hear back from them, I'll try again once the bass shows up and I have a serial number. Thank you again. I definitely appreciate your help.
JGladney

Postby jglunt2112 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:34 am

I saw several Seafoam Green Tribute JBs for sale as new B-stock on the G&L website in the past six months. To me, the photos made them look the same as the Turquoise Mist JBs that were much maligned because some of them had the wrong necks bolted to them. Maybe once G&L corrected that problem they re-branded the correct ones as Seafoam Green. But this is only an guess based on online photos, so take that for what it's worth. I read that the serial numbers of Tributes began with the two digit year of manufacture followed by the two digit month of manufacture. Therefore, a serial number beginning "1904"... would mean it was manufactured in April, 2019. However, I bought a couple "new" B-stocks from the G&L store this past year, and they both had serial numbers indicating they'd been manufactured two years before. As a preacher I once knew used to say, "I said all that to say this:" It does get confusing. I'd say to count the frets. If there are 20, you have the right neck. if there are 21 and the bass can't be intonated, G&L's fix for this is to put longer adjustment screws and springs in the bridge. They'll even supply them for you. This I was told a few years ago by Memo Romero at G&L. (714) 897-6766, x156. However, it sounds like your bass will be fine.
jglunt2112

Postby JGladney » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:03 am

Thanks for the response. This is really helpful. The whole situation has been weird. I purchased the bass on a whim and should have done more research before pulling the trigger. The seller had several Tribute Series JBs for sell, and I actually thought I was buying one in Lake Placid Blue. All of the photos for his listings looked very similar, so I didn't notice I purchased the Seafoam Green one until I got my order confirmation from Reverb. The seller has a great rating and a lot of positive reviews, so I'm hoping there's nothing fishy going on. The bass is scheduled to arrive on Friday, so I'll know more then. I'm glad to hear there's a fix if the neck is wrong. The price was super fair, so I won't be too disappointed if I have to put a bit of work into it. Thanks again for the help.
JGladney

Postby jglunt2112 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:26 pm

I don't think you'll have any problem. A few years ago, I bought one of the Turquoise Mist (Seafoam Green???) Tribute JBs with the longer neck. It took me three aborted tries to intonate it before I started taking measurements and figured out the problem. It was a "Daily Deal," so I simply sent it back. It was sure a pretty little bass, though. I've been tempted to buy another one, but I just plain have too many basses (if there is such a thing).
jglunt2112

Return to G&L Basses