MFD sound in P pickup?

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

MFD sound in P pickup?

Postby rpt50 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:57 am

I sold my G&L Fallout tribute (yeah not so smart) and now I miss the sound of that MFD pickup. I currently have a project bass that will easily accept standard size P pickups. Is there a G&L pickup (on the website I see SB2 and LB100 pickups) that would easily swap in and give me that MFD sound? Do I need to make other changes? When I had the G&L I used the humbucker sound much more often than single coil or OMG.
rpt50

Re: MFD sound in P pickup?

Postby Nedmundo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:17 am

You would want the SB-1/SB-2 pickup, which is an MFD split-coil. It won't sound exactly like the side-by-side MFD humbucker, but it's probably as close as you can get. How can you possibly go wrong with an MFD pickup that's also a P-bass pickup? :D
Nedmundo

Re: MFD sound in P pickup?

Postby bdgotoh » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:32 pm

You might actually like the tone better, the P MFD sounds really great!
bdgotoh

Return to G&L Basses