JB truss rod nut sheared off. Umm help!

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

JB truss rod nut sheared off. Umm help!

Postby PhinDog » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:03 pm

Hello,
I purchased a JB in March 2021. I had it set up by a G&L certified tech locally. He did a great job. This last week it got very cold and snowed the past two days. My action on my bass felt all out of whack. So I got out my feeler gages and string height gauge and started measuring the action and relief of the bass. The relief is usually between .010 and .012” it was a lot more than that. So I grabbed my Allen wrench and after detention if the strings I tightened the truss rod a 1/4 of a turn. I then took a measurement and it was a little better, not where I want it but I was taking my time. I tuned it up and played some with it and then put it in its case to rest over night. This morning I measured it and it needed a little not more. So I g :shock: ave it another 1/4 turn and then the truss rod nut gave way and sheared off. Ahhh! It wasn’t tight, I wasn’t muscling it.

What are my options? I plan on calling G&L in the morning but figured before I loose sleep I’d ask here if there is any kind of fix that can be done. Ugh!

Thanks in advance. Phin
PhinDog

Re: JB truss rod nut sheared off. Umm help!

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:10 pm

Well, that sucks.

PhinDog wrote:What are my options? I plan on calling G&L in the morning but figured before I loose sleep I’d ask here if there is any kind of fix that can be done. Ugh!

The only option, really.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby PhinDog » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:13 pm

Thanks Ken. I’ve seen some other posts that the welded nut can shear off like mine did and they replaced the neck. Hopefully they take care of it. It’s only 7 months old. Still a young pup. I loved the 1/4 sawn neck.

Fingers crossed!
PhinDog

Postby PhinDog » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:58 pm

update: G&L is going to warranty it and build a new neck!
PhinDog

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:11 pm

Excellent!

You might attach a friendly note to remind them of the quarter sawn neck. I doubt that they would miss that, but a little reminder might be good.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to G&L Basses