SB-2 Tribute bridge volume pot is too sensitive

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

SB-2 Tribute bridge volume pot is too sensitive

Postby Jim C » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:30 am

Hi,
I couldn't get the search function to work so forgive me if this has been asked a million times.

SB-2 Tribute - I like the sound with the bridge pup rolled off just a little bit but the pot is much too sensitive for me.
I haven't turned any screws yet so don't know the value or type of pot.
I'm hoping it's an audio taper and that going to a linear taper might solve the problem.
I suppose another alternative might be a multi-turn pot but maybe that is unnecessary.

Anyone here have any experience with making the bridge volume pot have more adjustability near the wide open position?

PS - Not new to G&L as this is my 3rd besides a Tribute JB2 and a highly optioned Fullerton JB!
Jim C

Re: SB-2 Tribute bridge volume pot is too sensitive

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:01 pm

Jim C wrote:Hi,
I couldn't get the search function to work so forgive me if this has been asked a million times.

Try this next time: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2608

SB-2 Tribute - I like the sound with the bridge pup rolled off just a little bit but the pot is much too sensitive for me.
I haven't turned any screws yet so don't know the value or type of pot.
I'm hoping it's an audio taper and that going to a linear taper might solve the problem.
I suppose another alternative might be a multi-turn pot but maybe that is unnecessary.

Anyone here have any experience with making the bridge volume pot have more adjustability near the wide open position?

As you get really close to the end of rotation, perceived sensitivity might increase to the point that it's hard to hit your preferred setting. This isn't something I've heard of in the past, so it might pay to look under the hood to make sure that everything is in order. Both pots should be 250KΩ Audio Taper.

Here's a wiring diagram in PDF format to follow.

Paul's wiring diagram.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jglunt2112 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:32 am

I, too, have experienced the same thing. I've modded 3 different G&L basses, one more than once, having been dissatisfied with the 1st mod and returning it to standard, then eventually modding it differently. I've always used 250kA pots, and every one has done the same thing you are describing. From about zero to 8, the perceived volume increases from about zero to only 20%. From about 8 to 10, the perceived volume jumps from about 20% to 100%. (That might be a slight exaggeration, but not much.) I did try a linear pot in one mod and found that it reacts almost exactly the opposite--in other words, it made a sudden jump in perceived volume when the pot was turned from about zero to 2, then a very gradual increase when turned from 2 to 10. That being the case, you might find that a linear pot will be more to your liking. They're inexpensive, so experimenting with one might solve your problem, and if not, it's easy enough to return it to stock. BTW, I've tried pots by Alpha, Bourns, and CTS, and they've all reacted the same, so brand names seem to have nothing to do with it. Question: Is your bridge volume pot the only one that is acting like this, or does the neck volume pot react similarly?
jglunt2112

Postby bigtone23 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:04 pm

Using a linear pot has had great results for getting a wider, less drastic sweep at the top end of the pot.
It's certainly my go-to for VVT to have linear volumes and audio tone.
Shoot, I use linear volumes on a V Bl T, too. :D
bigtone23

Return to G&L Basses