L2000 - is this a bass pot problem?

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

L2000 - is this a bass pot problem?

Postby Minkey » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:52 pm

Hi folks.

Thank you for the add Ken. Here goes my first post...

I've just taken delivery of a new L-2000 Tribute in the Clear Orange finish - a beauty! I'm completely in love with it (I'm returning to the bass for the first time in over 30 years), but I think it may have a fault.

The bass cut pot seems to be acting like a volume control. I've tried it through a couple of amps and with different leads, but the effect is the same. I've also tried all the switch combos too, and there is a new battery in it.

Regardless of what I do, as I roll the pot closed the signal just fades away. At first I can hear that it is cutting the bass, but as I continue rolling it anticlockwise the signal just dies away and vanishes just before the pot hits the stop. Should it behave like that?

The volume and treble cut pots seem to function as they should, but I really would have expected to hear something with the bass pot dialled down in the lower end.

Have I got a faulty one? Or is that how it should act?

Many thanks in advance for any advice and insights.

Cheers,
Mike
(Devon, UK)
Minkey

Re: L2000 - is this a bass pot problem?

Postby One Way » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:47 am

My L-2500 Tribute does not act that way, the treble and bass tone controls only affect their respective tone frequencies.
One Way

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:50 pm

Minkey wrote:The bass cut pot seems to be acting like a volume control. I've tried it through a couple of amps and with different leads, but the effect is the same. I've also tried all the switch combos too, and there is a new battery in it.

Regardless of what I do, as I roll the pot closed the signal just fades away. At first I can hear that it is cutting the bass, but as I continue rolling it anticlockwise the signal just dies away and vanishes just before the pot hits the stop. Should it behave like that?

Sounds like you got a wonky bass. It happens - sorry.

You can go through the wiring to look for the fault or you can have the dealer do it. Or just return the bass for another new one. Either way is a pain, but getting a replacement might just be the better thing to do.

For warranty work you'll probably need to contact your regional distributor or G&L dealer. Find your dealer here.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby TDR1138 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:02 pm

I had something like this happen on a L-1500 years back. Turned out that the bass pot was touching the side of the control cavity and was grounding out the signal. All I had to do was remove the knob, rotate the pot from the inside so it wasn't touching anything and then tighten the nut, and reattach the knob. Just maybe a quick check that would be an easy fix if that were the case.
TDR1138

Postby Minkey » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:37 pm

Hello again folks.

Thanks for your advice on this one. As the bass was so new I opted for a straight swap to a new unit from the dealer.

It arrived yesterday and I was hoping to be able to post to say that all was well. Sadly the replacement got crunched in transit!

The control knobs must have taken the hit, as the body was cracked around them. Typically the knob that must have born the brunt of the hit was the bass pot, as it was mashed so badly it would no longer turn. You really couldn't make this up!

The next swap over is scheduled for Monday. I've asked for the full cotton wool packaging treatment this time. Fingers crossed that it'll be third time lucky.

Cheers,
Mike
Minkey

Postby jglunt2112 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:13 am

Dang, dude!

"...If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all; Gloom, despair, and agony on me." (Just in case you're old enough to remember Hee Haw.)

Best of luck with the new one!!
jglunt2112

Postby TDR1138 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:12 pm

Ouch!

Fingers crossed. Third time's the charm.
TDR1138

Postby Minkey » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:02 am

Third time lucky indeed!

Delivery arrived today, two days ahead of schedule.

It is just perfect! I'm loving the grain pattern. New battery installed, original one a year old and down to 2.4V.

And all the controls seem to work just as they should, always a bonus :lol:

bass 01.jpg
bass 01.jpg (244.91 KiB) Viewed 2645 times

Thanks for all the advice folks!

Cheers,
Mike
Minkey

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:32 am

Glad it finally got resolved.

Congrats and thanks for letting us know!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to G&L Basses