Obligatory pictures. It's for pictures of YOUR G&L basses.

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: Obligatory pictures. It's for pictures of YOUR G&L bass

Postby mattrudy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Kevin Baker wrote:Ken put an Aguilar OBP-3 in his L-2500 and seems to like it. The big thing for him was that he didn't have to cut on the body to make it work, so he could take it all back to stock if he wanted to.

On the other hand, I put a Nordstrand 3b in my NotAG&L approximation that has L-series pickups in it, and I do really like it. Not that I take it off of flat all that often, but it's nice to have the flexibility if I ever want it.

As for a tech, I got nothin'. Your best bet would probably be to do a Google search for your general area and include the term, "luthier," and see where that gets you. That's how I found the shop that I've taken my bass to.

Thanks Kevin. Did the Nordstrand come with new pots/knobs.
mattrudy

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 pm

mattrudy wrote:Thanks Kevin. Did the Nordstrand come with new pots/knobs.

Please see my response here.

Also, let's try to keep the pictures thread for pictures. Other than the occasional one line drool-over-the-bass-pic comment, tech stuff needs its own thread in the appropriate forum.

Thanks,

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jordacr » Sun May 27, 2018 2:27 pm

Here are my current G&L basses:

First gen Tribute SB-2. I've never liked the first Tribute logos but this bass is so nice and plays so well. Currently strung with TI flats.
SB2.jpg
Tribute SB-2
SB2.jpg (90 KiB) Viewed 2692 times

JB-2. I do not like it near as much as the SB-2 but it is a nice bass.
Attachments
JB2.jpg
Tribute JB2
JB2.jpg (71.55 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
jordacr

Postby Karl Kaminski » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:23 pm

Hi Guys,
This is my first USA G&L. Been so happy with this L2500 Im gassin' to get a fretless! Im amazed at the WIDE variety of sounds I can pull out of this on the same gig. Currently Ive added a Series OMG/OuterSC/Parallel mod, copper shielding for SC mod, new barrel jack, and saddle-lock screw "upgrade" ;) But the possible future modding options are dizzying.

I'll post some RAW audio clips in the Sound Clip Thread https://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1206&start=30#p17215 from the first recording date I used it on.

IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg (94.2 KiB) Viewed 2615 times

IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg (28.77 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
Karl Kaminski

Postby hosehead75 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:43 pm

I am new here. I hope everyone is doing well.

Back in June, I decided I needed a new four string J bass. My main player is a 2003 Mike Lull M5V. It is a lovely instrument, but a new Lull four string was a bit out of the budget. I have a Crafted in Japan Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass with TI Jazz Flats that is great, but I needed something with round wounds and I am not giving up the Jazz Flats. So, after doing some research and pricing out all the options, I decided to special order a G&L JB over a Made in the US Fender.

The G&L showed up last month and right now I am in love. Feels great, great fit and finish, hardware, and sound. The neck feels fantastic, and it plays wonderfully up and down. My only gripe is the pickup covers are a bit too sharp and I might have to replace the covers. The pickups themselves sound lovely with a very nice aggressive tone without being too HONKy. I may change out the pickguard for a red-pearl, but that's just me being a bit fancy.

I am shocked the G&Ls are competitively priced (and often cheaper) than the US Fender counterparts.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 4.23.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 4.23.47 PM.png (204.49 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
hosehead75

Postby b17krk » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:59 pm

hosehead75 wrote:I am new here. I hope everyone is doing well.

Back in June, I decided I needed a new four string J bass. My main player is a 2003 Mike Lull M5V. It is a lovely instrument, but a new Lull four string was a bit out of the budget. I have a Crafted in Japan Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass with TI Jazz Flats that is great, but I needed something with round wounds and I am not giving up the Jazz Flats. So, after doing some research and pricing out all the options, I decided to special order a G&L JB over a Made in the US Fender.

The G&L showed up last month and right now I am in love. Feels great, great fit and finish, hardware, and sound. The neck feels fantastic, and it plays wonderfully up and down. My only gripe is the pickup covers are a bit too sharp and I might have to replace the covers. The pickups themselves sound lovely with a very nice aggressive tone without being too HONKy. I may change out the pickguard for a red-pearl, but that's just me being a bit fancy.

I am shocked the G&Ls are competitively priced (and often cheaper) than the US Fender counterparts.

Welcome, and may I say that you have a fine looking bass there.

I really do like the JB basses but sadly they are rarer than rocking horse excrement here in the UK. It's only been fairly recent that the Tribute series JB's have started gracing our shores, and the prices are very tempting indeed. There's definitely pressure building up in the old GAS tank!
Kirk

Proud Tribute L-2000 Plus owner
b17krk

Postby dhgleaves » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:14 pm

Here are my two G&L basses (SB-1 and Climax). I acquired both of them in Australia.

and

dhgleaves

Postby HumbleBass » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:44 pm

Hello All,

I’ve been a lurker for a while.

My name’s James and I’m an early ‘80’s SB-1 addict.

I’ve owned over 10 and have 3 right now, with another potentially on the way.

I don’t know why I like these noisy things so much, but they just fit for me....

My pic was too big to load, but here they are in all their glory:
https://imgur.com/a/tIXAMrG
HumbleBass

Postby Basstones » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:42 am

Just picked this up 1991 L2K and should be here by the weekend!

L2K_a.jpg
L2K_a.jpg (213.1 KiB) Viewed 1649 times

L2K.jpg
L2K.jpg (182.02 KiB) Viewed 1647 times

My modded G&L MJ-4 Tribute:

G&L USA tuners, string tree and bridge, G&L barrel jack
Audere Classic Preamp – Vol/Balance/ Treble/Mid/ Bass – all fully shielded and grounded cavities.
Aguilar AG 4J-60 pickups

MJ4_full2019.jpg
MJ4_full2019.jpg (111 KiB) Viewed 1644 times

Brian
Basstones

Postby Darrenms » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:44 am

Hi All
One Noob here, just became a proud owner of a 93 L2000 just before Christmas and lovin' it. These are one brand that definitely flies underneath the radar. I know of one other guy in Western Australia that's had his G&L for years and loves it but other than that i haven't come across another. I had a 09 Marcus Miller jazz that i wasn't using and decided to move it on, a guy contacted me and asked if i wanted to swap it for the L2000 which i did. I had to play with the setup because it played like shit when i got it and i'm still playing around with it now because its so bloody hot and humid here at the moment. Its getting there though. The only thing i'm not too keen on at the moment is the huge difference between the passive and active output levels but i've seen on another post in here that it might be adjustable. I hope so. One thing that does interest me about this one is that it has a G&L sticker on the body that i have yet to see on another bass. The bass has been well looked after, Its all original finish as far as i can tell and its underneath the lacquer so it was done in the factory. Ive seen some on here with signatures in the same spot but not the logo. Has anyone seen this on another G&L?
Cheers

Ive since got home and had a look at the preamp, cant see anyway of adjusting anything so im guessing that its not
Attachments
G&L.jpg
G&L.jpg (35.31 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
Darrenms

PreviousNext

Return to G&L Basses