Restoring 1982 L-2000

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Restoring 1982 L-2000

Postby FunkyFundamental » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:38 pm

In 1982, I bought a new L-2000. It was my first 'real' bass. A few years later I sold it to a friend. Fast-forward 36 years and I recently re-acquired the bass from the friend's estate! It's pretty cool to have my 'first' bass back - but it needs some TLC. The electronics cavity is a rust pit, and it's amazing the electronics work at all. The volume pot needs replacing, and there is some clipping so I'll go ahead and replace the LM4250CN. But looking at the electronics, I wonder if I should go ahead and replace all the pots??? The pickup selector was replaced at some point. I assumed the PCB was original, but found "2001" is stamped on the solder side and this is the only text; does that suggest it was replaced?

Also, the hex hole on the truss rod is close to being stripped out. I ordered a replacement from G&L, but then realized I ordered the one for '83-'06. Will that work on my '82, or do I need the actual '80 - '82 nut?

[Pls forgive if all these have been answered elsewhere on this very fine forum - I did search - this is my first post.]
IMG_9277.jpg
IMG_9277.jpg (112.69 KiB) Viewed 1912 times

IMG_9278.jpg
IMG_9278.jpg (85.62 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
FunkyFundamental

Re: Restoring 1982 L-2000

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:33 pm

FunkyFundamental wrote:In 1982, I bought a new L-2000. It was my first 'real' bass. A few years later I sold it to a friend. Fast-forward 36 years and I recently re-acquired the bass from the friend's estate! It's pretty cool to have my 'first' bass back - but it needs some TLC. The electronics cavity is a rust pit, and it's amazing the electronics work at all. The volume pot needs replacing, and there is some clipping so I'll go ahead and replace the LM4250CN. But looking at the electronics, I wonder if I should go ahead and replace all the pots??? The pickup selector was replaced at some point. I assumed the PCB was original, but found "2001" is stamped on the solder side and this is the only text; does that suggest it was replaced?

Ain't it great when they come back home?

Yes - replace all the pots. Volume & treble pots are 250KA and the bass is a 1MegC (reverse log). You can source them all from the G&L Online Store. Be sure to carefully read the descriptions.

The LM4250CN is no longer available (and thousands of bass players gnashed their teeth). Drop-in replacements should be TL071 or LF441. The 4250 may still be available from the online store, and grab it if it is.

I don't know what the 2001 is all about - sorry. The board looks kinda grungy, so when it's out of the instrument go to it with 90+% isopropyl alcohol (you can get 99% on Amazon) and a soft toothbrush.

Also, the hex hole on the truss rod is close to being stripped out. I ordered a replacement from G&L, but then realized I ordered the one for '83-'06. Will that work on my '82, or do I need the actual '80 - '82 nut?

Try it. If it easily fits, use it. Otherwise, go with the earlier version.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby FunkyFundamental » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:56 pm

Many kind thanks Ken! It will take time to order/collect/install all the parts -- I'll report back with results. (I found an ebay source for LM4250CN; we'll see if it's the real deal.)
FunkyFundamental

Postby FunkyFundamental » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:58 pm

I am considering replacing all the controls & pcb and the control plate with new harness/plate/knobs from CLF Research. Anyone know who I should contact to inquire about the possibility of this? Thanks.
FunkyFundamental

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:43 pm

If you're talking about a fully populated CLF control plate, then you'll need to contact Repairs.

Call Memo at 714-897-6766 x156 or send an email.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to G&L Basses