Pre-Metric Saddle Height Screw Size L2500 Saddle Lock

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Pre-Metric Saddle Height Screw Size L2500 Saddle Lock

Postby 2cooltoolz » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:28 pm

Hey all.

I've been taking advantage of this "shut-down" time to catch up on some overdue projects. I bought my 2003 L2500 about a year ago, and have been promising ever since to replace this piece of DIY "engineering" left me by the previous owner. I don't seem to be able to find what size height adjustment screw these used. I do know G&L switched to metric in around 2008, so I am pre-that :D .

I contacted G&L, and was told they would send me some, gratis, but that never happened, and I don't want to be pushy.

If anyone knows the diameter, length, and pitch of this screw, or where I could buy some...appreciated. (Not the wrench size.)

Thanks!

L2500 Bridge.jpg
L2500 Bridge.jpg (122.22 KiB) Viewed 843 times
2cooltoolz

Re: Pre-Metric Saddle Height Screw Size L2500 Saddle Lock

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:09 pm

PM'd you.

Also, you might consider either stringing your bass thru-body or doing our bridge mod. Two screws aren't enough to hold the bridge down with any reliability. G&L recommends thru-body for those 5 stringers that allow it. The bridge mod allows you to use plain old 34" scale strings and you get a big bump in sustain.

Failing my PM, I recall that the height adjusters are 6-32 (diameter & pitch) by probably 1/2" to 5/8" length. I recall. And I'm an old fart with a mind like a sieve. Or a colander.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby 2cooltoolz » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:23 pm

Thanks Ken!

PM received and replied! I am aware of the bridge mod and am torn. I'll probably do it; I certainly understand the hazards and benefits. I really don't care for string thru, mostly due to the break angle, so the mod is the way to go. I've done a lot of mods and built several parts basses, but this is the "specialest :D " bass I've owned and it's hard to pull the trigger on a mod.

Thanks again for the info and the PM!!
2cooltoolz

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:45 pm

The thing about the bridge mod is that it's totally reversible. If removed, no one would know it had been there.

Replied to your PM.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby 2cooltoolz » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:32 pm

Ken Baker wrote:The thing about the bridge mod is that it's totally reversible.
Ken...

I'm convinced! Bridge mod parts are ordered!!
2cooltoolz

Postby 2cooltoolz » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:54 pm

Did it!

My Bridge Mod.jpg
My Bridge Mod.jpg (112.27 KiB) Viewed 751 times
2cooltoolz

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:29 pm

WooHoo!

How does it play?

For me, it increases sustain and made the upper positions sound brighter and less muffled.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Larry Mal » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:56 am

Can I get in on this also? I have a 1999 L1500, four string, and I just shimmed the neck because I laid the saddles flat and still the action was a little higher than I wanted.

However, now the saddles are in fact sitting tall and proud, maybe too tall. I would like to add some longer height adjustment screws but don't know exactly what the specs are for them.

I see the ones I have are about 10mm 3/8" in length, if I could get closer to 1/2" that would be wonderful (or about 12-13mm I guess).
Larry Mal

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:21 am

Larry Mal wrote:However, now the saddles are in fact sitting tall and proud, maybe too tall. I would like to add some longer height adjustment screws but don't know exactly what the specs are for them.

You'll probably need to remove some shim thickness. Remember that a little bit goes a long way. Also, read this if you haven't already read it.

Baseline saddle height would have 1/8" between the E saddle and the bridge plate, a little more under the A string, about 3/32" under the D string, and a bit less than that under the G string. Fine tune from there. Keep all the saddles parallel to the bridge plate and finish by snugging up the saddle lock screw.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Larry Mal » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:37 pm

Thanks Ken- it turns out I might not need the shim after all.

I'll still give all that a good read, though- seems like a lot of great information all put together. I appreciate it.
Larry Mal

Next

Return to G&L Basses