L1000 Toggle switch

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

L1000 Toggle switch

Postby KillerB » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:58 pm

Hello

Is anyone knows more details about the difference between the L1000 with a three positions toggle switch from the other with two positions toggle switch? Is this change happened in a model year?

O found this
>> 3 positions is:
1- parallel humbucking
2- single coil
3- series humbucking (w/ .1uF capacitor)

>> 2 positions is:
1- series (bass boost)
2- parallel (bass cut)

Best regards
KB
KillerB

Re: L1000 Toggle switch

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:45 pm

KillerB wrote:Is anyone knows more details about the difference between the L1000 with a three positions toggle switch from the other with two positions toggle switch? Is this change happened in a model year?

It looks like the early L-1000 basses, up to 1987 or so, are going to have the 3 position switch. Sometime 1988 to 1990 the change was made to a 2 position switch.

Both switch style provided series humbucking and parallel humbucking. The 3 position models added single coil as well as what G&L called series with bass boost.

Understand that the term "bass boost" is a marketing term that G&L uses on the L Series to describe series mode, a mode that naturally provides a deeper more "bassy" sound than parallel. The term is also used to describe series with bass boost which is series mode with a big treble cut on one of the coils. Also note that parallel humbucking is not a treble cut, but the two coils connected in parallel which gives a well rounded sound.

It's good to remember that the L Series basses are not fully active. They are either fully passive, as with the L-1000, or a hybrid of sorts with a fully passive circuit feeding an onboard preamp. In the case of these hybrids (L-2000, L-1500, ASAT, L-2500, et al) the "Tri Tone Circuit" provides bass & treble controls that are cut only; no boost. The M Series basses are fully active with 3 band boost/cut EQ.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby derick » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:51 pm

Ken Baker wrote:
It looks like the early L-1000 basses, up to 1987 or so, are going to have the 3 position switch. Sometime 1988 to 1990 the change was made to a 2 position switch.

This is the first I've heard that these two position 1Ks actually existed. Where is this documented?

Ken Baker wrote:
Understand that the term "bass boost" is a marketing term that G&L uses on the L Series to describe series mode, a mode that naturally provides a deeper more "bassy" sound than parallel.

Also understand that series mode provides a higher output than either parallel or single coil mode. Therefore the term "boost" is accurate in comparison to the other two modes.
derick

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:44 am

derick wrote:This is the first I've heard that these two position 1Ks actually existed. Where is this documented?

Catalogs in the gallery at GbL.

Also understand that series mode provides a higher output than either parallel or single coil mode. Therefore the term "boost" is accurate in comparison to the other two modes.

The term "boost" is not accurate in this context. There is no amplification, therefore no boost of any kind. Series is louder than parallel by the nature of the wiring, but it is not boost. To say that it is boost, even in comparison to parallel or single coil, is playing with semantics.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby TDR1138 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Ken Baker wrote:It looks like the early L-1000 basses, up to 1987 or so, are going to have the 3 position switch. Sometime 1988 to 1990 the change was made to a 2 position switch.

My '88 has the 3 position switch. Neck dates to September, body to August of that year, so you're looking at least late '88 or later for the change. That said, it's the first I've heard of Wunkays having a 2 position switch.
TDR1138

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:36 pm

TDR1138 wrote:My '88 has the 3 position switch. Neck dates to September, body to August of that year, so you're looking at least late '88 or later for the change. That said, it's the first I've heard of Wunkays having a 2 position switch.

I've heard of a few out there.

Before 2000 or so there was a LOT of flex in what came out of the factory. It is likely that the majority were 3 position, even after the published move to 2 position. If a dealer wanted something off menu and it was a reasonable request, they usually got it.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby derick » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:10 pm

A couple of data points about the switch positions on late L-1000 basses...

Greg Gagliano has documented two very late Wunkay basses, a January 1992 http://www.ggjaguar.com/92l-1000.htm and December 1993 http://www.ggjaguar.com/93l-1000.htm. Both of these are described by him as having the normal three position switch. Both of these basses also appear in a photo http://ggjaguar.com/L1K%20group%20shot.jpg posted by him of his collection of wunkays in the photo thread of the Wunkay forum, so I believe that he does or at least did, own them.

Given Greg's attention to detail, I am confident that he would have noted a difference in the switch position function. So, thus far we have solid evidence of three-position late Wunkays, but as far as I know, only paper or heresay evidence of the phantom two-position Wunkays. They may exist, but until someone has a non-modified example in their hands, I remain skeptical.

Edit: The guitarsbyleo registry contains a total of eight 1988-1993 L-1000 basses, including the three discussed in this thread. None mention a two-position switch.
derick

Postby bdgotoh » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:38 pm

I had a thing for the rear control cavity L-1000 years ago, and owned a good number of 1990-1993 versions.

I've also had quite a few of the L-1000s released in the past 10 years, including a wonderful CLF L-1000.

Every one had the 3 position switch, I've never heard of them having a 2 position switch before I read this thread. Just sharing my experience, of course.
bdgotoh

Return to G&L Basses