CNC vs Pin Routers

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

CNC vs Pin Routers

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Back in the early 2000s over at the KCC (the old green GuitarsByLeo site) there was a hew and a cry from the "handmade" zealots over G&L's change to CNC from the Leo era pin routers used for roughing out bodies and necks. I was initially in the handmade camp for a while, but the benefits of CNC far out-weighs the so-called mojo of pin routers. Plus, and WAY more importantly, CNC saves a lot of bloodshed.

While this isn't G&L specific, this is a video showing how the two work.

As an aside, the Laguna mill that Novo Guitars uses is a nice machine but G&L's HASS is bigger and more production oriented. The output of both is equally good.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: CNC vs Pin Routers

Postby axxtion » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:30 pm

Back in early 1990 I started an aerospace machine shop in Fullerton and my first CNC was a Cincinnati Milacron retrofit with an Allen Bradley 8400 CNC mill control. As mine was being done, there was another, like mine and being done in the same way, which was for the Fender Custom Shop and Steve Boulanger. Steve and I became friends and played in a band thru the 90's with his brother, Duane, and Steve Grom. Steve B and I would go to WestTec every year and he recognized early on, that CNC was superior to crafting by hand once you realized that a CNC could truly be used as a prototype, one off kind of tool. Steve B retired from Fender and did some consulting for G&L on getting their HAAS to be more productive. Duane and Steve G both later moved over to G&L also. Unfortunately, Steve B passed too early and I miss him to this day.

The retarded thing is that I had never played a G&L and have only gotten my first G&L within the past 18 months, it being an L2500 off of craigslist. This is the bass I've been looking for for 40 years. I now own 3 of the USA models to play out and 2 tribs to bang on. You gotta give thanks to the ones who have gone before us.
axxtion

Postby jfh4242 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:25 pm

Just curious...are Tribs CNCed or not?

Thanks!

John
jfh4242
Global Mod

Postby axxtion » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:29 pm

Ken would now better than I, but I would bet big money they are CNCd. I have the L-2500 USA Blueburst, a Blueburst Korean trib and the Blueburst Indonesian trib and I think the newer Indonesian tribs are better quality than the Korean. From what I have read, alot of the guitar manufacturers in Korea moved much of their production to south asia to take adavantage of lower wages and at the same time upgraded their equipment in those new factories. The Blueburst Indonesian trib is damn close in quality to my USA model.
axxtion

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:35 am

I actually do not know, but it makes absolute sense that the import Tributes are CNCd.

The OEM for Tributes and quite a few others, like SBMM, is Cort and they crank a lot of volume through the factory. Cort also makes instruments under their own name. So LOTS of volume which makes CNC pretty much a requirement.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jfh4242 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:27 am

Thank you to both of you for your replies.

John
jfh4242
Global Mod

Return to G&L Basses