Help with new-to-me Tribute L-2000--no high end?

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: Help with new-to-me Tribute L-2000--no high end?

Postby SB-1_Kenobi » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:44 am

Ken Baker wrote:I'll bet the bass pot isn't the correct value. If you can, even in-circuit, measure the resistance across the outside lugs. Should be in the neighborhood of 1 megohm. I'll bet it's either 250K or 500K.

Well, the digital multimeter just arrived and it appears the bass pot is correct. The resistance between the outside lugs is just a bit below 1 megohm.

If it were mine, I'd fix these problems and see where they lead me. If the extra black lead is what I think it is (an attempt at a "K" model pickup), having it grounded would be correct. The 222K cap would be 222K or 0.0022µF, 100v polyester film. The 473K (0.047µF) cap is a wildly incorrect value for that location, so replace it with 102K or 0.001µF, 100v polyester film.

Ordered a box of capacitors last night that includes the two I'll need (Ah, how I miss Radio Shack.) and plan to do just what you said--get that part straightened out then go from there. As I mentioned to Kirk, the mods you have here are tempting, especially when I'm already going to have out the soldering iron, but I think I'm going to try to get it working normally before I try to get fancy.

Speaking of capacitors, are polyester film capacitors generally polarized? Will I need to pay attention to their orientation in the circuit and, if so, how will I tell which end goes where, especially when the one currently in place is suspect?

Thank you again!
SB-1_Kenobi

Postby b17krk » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:20 pm

SB-1_Kenobi wrote:Thanks, Kirk!

I really like the looks of that pickguard. Sadly, they don't appear to be on Rakuten anymore, but I'm going to keep an eye out. It's a good look!

I'll see if I can dig out the original clear guard and create a PDF trace of it for you.

SB-1_Kenobi wrote:One question, since you have the Tribute. Does your wiring match the one Ken posted above on the bass pot? I've already ordered the caps to make mine match the USA specs, and I'm hoping that's the root of the problem, but it's certainly a curious change for someone to have made.

The original wiring in my Tribute didn't match Ken's diagram exactly, but it was a functional equivalent.

Below is link to a PDF diagram that I created not long before I gutted and completely rewired the entire circuit to match Paul Gagon's L-2K Plus mod. It shows how my Tribute L-2K was wired as it came from the factory. If I were betting man I'd hazard a guess that this is how yours would originally have been wired also.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16WwRuvMPg9-Egur3uTXtMYRNRWgWukcQ

It's worth mentioning that as my Tribute L-2K is an early 2011 model, it has preamp v1.2 as opposed to the current version v1.3. If your bass is newer than mine then it will most likely have v1.3, and that being the case you won't see the 10k resistor attached to the red wire coming from the active/passive switch. This is because that particular resistor was moved to the preamp board (R11 I believe) as part of the v1.3 revision.

I hope this is of use.

[Edited to update URL]
Last edited by b17krk on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk

Proud Tribute L-2000 Plus owner
b17krk

Postby SB-1_Kenobi » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:16 am

I'll see if I can dig out the original clear guard and create a PDF trace of it for you.

That would be amazing!

Below is link to a PDF version of a diagram that I created not long before I completely gutted, and rewired the entire circuit to match Paul Gagon's L-2K Plus mod. It shows how my Tribute L-2K was wired straight from the factory, and I'd hazard a guess that this is how yours was originally wired also.

Thank you! This makes me feel more confident going forward.
SB-1_Kenobi

Postby SB-1_Kenobi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:11 pm

Ken and Kirk,

I'll cut to the chase--I think my L-2000 is fixed!

Here's a sound clip in which I've cut back and forth between a recording I made before implementing the fix and one I recorded about 5 minutes ago. I sure hope you can tell which is which--I certainly can! The settings on both are the same: both pickups, parallel, passive, all knobs dimed. (Please forgive the crappy playing!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f618zlj5p5rrr ... n.mp3?dl=0

The caps came in from Amazon on Thursday but I couldn't find my soldering iron that evening. After a day of looking for it, I finally gave up and went to Wal-Mart and bought a new one this morning. I removed the old cap on the bass pot and put the two new ones of the correct values in the spots designated by the wiring diagram Ken provided. I still haven't actually screwed the pots back into the bass because I wanted to test it first and make sure it was working.

• Both the treble and bass pots now have an appreciable effect.
  • The active+treble boost sounds trebly.
  • The bass no longer sounds like muddy crap!

Now there are other questions such as whether I'm going to leave flats on here or go with rounds or half-rounds, whether I'm going to do any other mods, and the like. Right now, though, I just want to get to know the bass a little and enjoy it.

Still, though, since I have this thread going, what do you guys suggest in terms of strings? Although I love the sound of flats, I'm not getting that vibe from this bass. Maybe I just think flats belong on a precision. Half-rounds are my go-to when I want a more aggressive sound and I'm thinking they'll be more than enough with the (restored) mids and highs of this bass. I also don't really play any slap so I don't think I'll need the full high end of full rounds.

Kirk, I know you did the Plus mod on your L-2000. Ken, do you have a favorite mod for this bass?

Thank you both so much for your help!
SB-1_Kenobi

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:16 am

SB-1_Kenobi wrote:I'll cut to the chase--I think my L-2000 is fixed!

YEA!!!!

Ain't it great when a plan comes together?

Here's a sound clip in which I've cut back and forth between a recording I made before implementing the fix and one I recorded about 5 minutes ago. I sure hope you can tell which is which--I certainly can! The settings on both are the same: both pickups, parallel, passive, all knobs dimed. (Please forgive the crappy playing!)

Now that it's working as it should, you might consider backing off the volume to about 80%. Bass & treble to taste, but a lot of people back those off a little as well. As they say, this isn't your grandpa's precision. The bass will be much more controllable.

Now there are other questions such as whether I'm going to leave flats on here or go with rounds or half-rounds, whether I'm going to do any other mods, and the like. Right now, though, I just want to get to know the bass a little and enjoy it.

Yup. Just play and enjoy for a while.

Still, though, since I have this thread going, what do you guys suggest in terms of strings? Although I love the sound of flats, I'm not getting that vibe from this bass. Maybe I just think flats belong on a precision. Half-rounds are my go-to when I want a more aggressive sound and I'm thinking they'll be more than enough with the (restored) mids and highs of this bass. I also don't really play any slap so I don't think I'll need the full high end of full rounds.

This oughta keep you busy for a few.

Kirk, I know you did the Plus mod on your L-2000. Ken, do you have a favorite mod for this bass?

Single coil on the outer coils. But play it as is for a while.

Thank you both so much for your help!

Thanks. Glad it's working for you!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to G&L Basses