G&L brand gig bags

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: G&L brand gig bags

Postby b17krk » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:03 am

mytilini wrote:
RocketMusic wrote:I love the Mono Vertigo these days, but it's not cheap. But I have ZERO worries about my bass when it's in one.

Agree those are very nice, but they're over £200 Sterling here in Britain (about US $265...?!) - still find that a little bit pricey for my tastes!!! I use Hiscox Liteflite ABS cases for J-shaped basses and Warwick RockCase foam pod rectangular zip-up cases for eveything else...

+1 For the Hiscox cases - I have 3 of them and they're pretty solid. I once watched a video of the guys at Hiscox (about 4 or 5 of them I seem to remember) simultaneously standing on top of a loaded case to demonstrate just how capable they were.
Kirk

Proud Tribute L-2000 Plus owner
b17krk

Postby mytilini » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:05 am

b17krk wrote:
mytilini wrote:
RocketMusic wrote:I love the Mono Vertigo these days, but it's not cheap. But I have ZERO worries about my bass when it's in one.

Agree those are very nice, but they're over £200 Sterling here in Britain (about US $265...?!) - still find that a little bit pricey for my tastes!!! I use Hiscox Liteflite ABS cases for J-shaped basses and Warwick RockCase foam pod rectangular zip-up cases for eveything else...

+1 For the Hiscox cases - I have 3 of them and they're pretty solid. I once watched a video of the guys at Hiscox (about 4 or 5 of them I seem to remember) simultaneously standing on top of a loaded case to demonstrate just how capable they were.

Yeah...five normally-sized guys, or one of ME - lol!!! With you owning three Hiscox cases, are they all the standard (EBS) size, or do you have any of the EBP larger ones? I ask because I've found that J-shaped basses fit snugly in the standard (EBS), whilst P-shaped basses (e.g. my Tribute L 2000) rattle around in it. The teardrop-shaped larger EBP lets both J- & P-shaped bass bodies rattle in it; I recall that case is designed for bigger-bodied guitars, such as the Gibson Grabber & Yamaha BB-series. I'd be interested in your experiences of them...?
Best regards from the sunny U.K. ...?!?
mytilini

Postby b17krk » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:20 am

mytilini wrote:.....Yeah...five normally-sized guys, or one of ME - lol!!! With you owning three Hiscox cases, are they all the standard (EBS) size, or do you have any of the EBP larger ones? I ask because I've found that J-shaped basses fit snugly in the standard (EBS), whilst P-shaped basses (e.g. my Tribute L 2000) rattle around in it. The teardrop-shaped larger EBP lets both J- & P-shaped bass bodies rattle in it; I recall that case is designed for bigger-bodied guitars, such as the Gibson Grabber & Yamaha BB-series. I'd be interested in your experiences of them...?

All three of mine are the EBS variants - and like you I also find that anything other than a J tends to rattle around a little. If I'm only nipping down the road to the local guitar tech it doesn't really bother me, but on longer journeys I will usually pack old towels and t-shirts etc around my basses to keep them firmly in place.
Kirk

Proud Tribute L-2000 Plus owner
b17krk

Postby mytilini » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:53 am

b17krk wrote:
mytilini wrote:All three of mine are the EBS variants - and like you I also find that anything other than a J tends to rattle around a little. If I'm only nipping down the road to the local guitar tech it doesn't really bother me, but on longer journeys I will usually pack old towels and t-shirts etc around my basses to keep them firmly in place.

I've found the same too, again only for P-shaped basses; J's are snug. I do find it strange that with the exception of Fender's own bags / cases, you seem to have to trawl through the likes of eBay to find a hard case that seems to be snug enough to hold the body snugly in place. As we're in the U.K., we have different options from our U.S. cousins; I've found the following aftermarket products to be suitable to hold my Tribute L-2000:

RockCase By Warwick RC 20805 B Delux Line Bass Guitar Case - great for holding the neck in place with minimal space around the body

Gear4Music's ABS & Deluxe Fitted cases are good too, as are the Spider BC450 & HL4C-B from Flightcase Warehouse.

I'm still hoping to find a music shop which you can physically visit, to try the L-2000 in an EBP...rare things, even just outside the Greater London area!
mytilini

Postby soulman969 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:38 am

Question: Do the current Tribute models include a gig bag at all?
soulman969

Postby Ken Baker » Wed May 22, 2019 8:12 am

soulman969 wrote:Question: Do the current Tribute models include a gig bag at all?

No, they do not. It's part of why the Tribute line is so affordable.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby tehuti » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:40 pm

I just picked up a bass with a G&L gig bag and I am surprised at how thin the new ones are. My Tribute L2000 that I bought in ‘06 has a really nice heavy bag that is still in good shape. I may have to look at a nice Mono or Gator case for the new one.
tehuti

Postby mytilini » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:50 am

tehuti wrote:I just picked up a bass with a G&L gig bag and I am surprised at how thin the new ones are. My Tribute L2000 that I bought in ‘06 has a really nice heavy bag that is still in good shape. I may have to look at a nice Mono or Gator case for the new one.

+1 on this opinion.... I checked out these new G&L gig bags at Andertons in Guildford (in the United Kingdom) recently. Sorry, but I found them to be worse than useless - I certainly wouldn't trust my Tribute in one! So, I'm still trying differing types of properly-padded, shaped hard cases. Shame, such a lovely brand; I'd have thought the Product Marketing people would realise that we'd probably all pay a bit more for a proper, modern, padded, protective bag that could still advertise their products....ho-hum... :idea:
mytilini

Postby tehuti » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:57 pm

This is the gig bag I got with my 2006 L-2000. Much better than the new ones
Attachments
17B166F2-016A-487F-A42B-E01EF930A89B.jpeg
17B166F2-016A-487F-A42B-E01EF930A89B.jpeg (22.22 KiB) Viewed 124 times
tehuti

Previous

Return to G&L Basses