Twisted L-2500 Neck

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Twisted L-2500 Neck

Postby dirtyfunkg » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:16 pm

I have an L-2500 I got used from Guitar Center about two years ago. Last weekend, I took it in to my local repair shop for a setup. Mid-week I got a call from them that the neck is twisted and needs to be replaced. It sounds like the truss rod is just spinning free in there. They say they've tried to contact G&L but have not heard back.

The bass is a USA G&L, not sure the exact year but it has a 6 bolt neck joint with no neck plate, similar to the current neck joint. My guess is it's between 10-15 years old. It's at the tech's house/shop, so I won't be able to pick it up until later this coming week. In the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and if there are more reputable bass techs in the Chicago area who can fix an issue like this.

Otherwise, how much does a G&L replacement neck end up costing? Any pointers would be really helpful. I'm pretty bummed about it.
dirtyfunkg

Re: Twisted L-2500 Neck

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:08 pm

You'll need to contact G&L Repairs. 714-987-6766 x156 or send them an email. You'll need to get a quote from them, but figure $500 or so.

Popped back in to provide a little more info, not that it'll help much. Sorry.

If the wood of the neck is actually twisted, kind of like a long drill bit, it's likely that the bass has seen a pretty crappy environment at some point in its life. It would be highly unlikely for this to be repairable.

If the neck wood ends up to be okay but the trussrod seems broken, then we start asking questions. Is the neck CNC or pre-CNC? You can tell by looking at the back of the neck, as well as the headstock, for a very fine glue joint running the length of the neck. If you see this joint the neck is pre-CNC. If you don't see the joint line, the neck is a single piece of wood that was roughed out by a CNC machine. The trussrod on a pre-CNC instrument is built into the neck when it's glued up and is not repairable. A CNC neck's trussrod might be repairable by a talented shop willing to take it on, but it would involve removing the fingerboard, replacing the rod, and gluing on a new board. G&L will not do this; they will only replace the neck.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to G&L Basses