"Legacy" LB-100 Bass

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

"Legacy" LB-100 Bass

Postby Chis » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:18 am

Hi,

new to the forum. In fact - pretty new to forums in general. I originally posted this in the "gutarsbyleo" forum - before I realised this might be a better place to discuss basses. Have been a G&L owner since 1999, with a 1993 LB-100 bass. Me and the bass have had a bit of a journey along the way, including a period when it was stolen and then miraculously returned. I'm building a blog of stuff, I may or may not get going properly, but have written a piece about the bass here: https://printhead235491263.wordpress.co ... -prodigal/.

I've managed to find a bit of info here on the forum and elsewhere, which appear to show the LB-100 is an early production, but possibly rebadged "Legacy" bass. I'd be interested if anyone has any other information. I'm going to be giving the bass a good clean over and a proper setup - I'd be particularly interested if anyone has any advice or opinion about using the inbuilt neck tilt adjustment. I'd always thought a proper shim was the best way to go. I may have to look at a little adjustment since the action is now quite high - even with the saddles right down on the bridge. The truss rod adjustment is still fully functional though - so I may find enough adjustment there.

Ideally, I'd like to rub some buckle rash and the odd scratch out of the finish. There are a couple of black dings to the neck which look like it might be possible to rub them out. Anyone have any info about the finish on the body and neck, and whether they think it's a good idea to try to use something like rubbing compound and swirl remover, before a re-polish?

Also - generally - since I'm intending to give the guitar a good strip down and clean up. Is there anything I should keep well clear of? Anything I should avoid, in order to keep the guitar as close to original as possible? Anything I could do, sympathetically of course, to reawaken some of the old G&L magic?

Grateful for any info
Chis

Re: "Legacy" LB-100 Bass

Postby derick » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:46 pm

The tilt mechanism is designed to account for exactly the neck situation that you describe. It's a very logical adjustment... The only caveat is to avoid over-tightening the neck screws, which can over time induce the dreaded "ski-jump" at the heel of the neck.
derick

Postby TDR1138 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:51 pm

Hello and welcome. First rule of thumb is that we like pictures. Otherwise the bass is just a figment of everyone's imagination.

G&L originally released the Legacy Bass (Precision style) to compliment the Legacy guitar (Strat style) shortly after Leo's passing. I believe production started in early 1993. As the story goes, Zon said, "Hey, we have a Legacy Bass, so you have to stop using that name." So, they changed to LB-100 by late 1993. The LB-100 ran in its initial run until around '99-'00 or so before being discontinued (which turned out to be a temporary thing).

I have one from 1993 that is badged as an LB-100, but does have "Leg" denoted in the cavity, so right around the transition period. Body stamp is Nov '93.

Standard fare on the basses was a pickup manufactured by Gotoh with essentially a 5% overwind from the standard Fender specs (10,500 turns vs. 10,000). Reportedly some early basses came with a Kent Armstrong pickup, but I don't think it was too common. The original run had the 3-bolt neck with the neck tilt adjustment and the headstock was shaped a little more like a Fender style than the later models. Body shape and pickguard shape are a little different as well. I believe most came with the #5 neck profile (1.75" wide, 7.5" radius). Mine has Schaller tuners from the factory (as opposed to G&L branded) that are taller than the proprietary G&L tuners.

If you're using the neck tilt, be careful not to overtighten anything... make sure the neck bolts are loose enough when you're engaging the tilt and don't overtighten them (snug is fine) when you're done adjusting. A prior owner cranked down on mine too much and ended up damaging the heel of the neck by forcing the little disc that the set screw pushes on into the neck, causing the heel of the neck to split slightly. Here's what I had to do to fix... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2696

You may find some more interesting reading here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2258&hilit=10%2C500
TDR1138

Postby fatherska » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:13 pm

Chris: Let's see your bass. Post a photo or two here, please. Maybe even photos that specifically show the scratches and dings that you'd like to minimize. There could be a good tip or two posted in reply specific to what we see.

I've used an automotive dealer's polishing compound (essentially industry-insider's turtle wax) to make micro-scratches disappear and to increase the hard-slippery effect of the factory finish, thus boosting resistance to micro-scratches. The stuff is liquid gold. It dries and I buff it off. I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be for anybody to get the same stuff - or how I'll replace it when I eventually empty my large bottle of it. Even so, this description might be helpful to others aiming for the same results.
fatherska

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:00 pm

Years ago I picked up a Lakland Skyline on the cheap. The body had a bazzilion little scratches. Seeing as how I was changing out all the electronics, I stripped all the parts off the body and used the liquid compound and pad from a 3M headlight restoration kit. Cleaned all the micro and pick scratches off very well and even polished the deeper ones so that they weren't as visible. In fact, you have to look pretty closely to see them.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Chis » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:26 am

Hi - Derick, TDR and Ken especially.

Thanks for the information. Really useful, and confirms bits of information I've found around and about. I've had a bit of a clean and tidy with the LB - nothing too agressive - just bringing back a bit of shine and, I supose, reclaiming what's mine after the whole incident of the guitars theft and return. Grateful for your advice regarding repairing some of the dings. They're pretty minor, I just want to make sure whatever I'm doing isn't going to badly affect the finish. I don't want to dive in and try drop filling with superglue, for example, if I'm looking at a poly finish which might pop out divots when I'm smoothing and fine sanding it. (I've had that happen before on another guitar).

Anyway - a common thread in your replies is to post some pics of the bass. As I say - I'm a bit new to forums in general - but here goes nothing.

I wish I could read that datestamp in the neck pocket. Looks all the world to me like 1987, but I know the Legacy dates should be 1993. If I look hard and stare, I can just about see that - but it still looks like 1987 to me. The handwritten SB427, in the pickup rout - is maybe a finish code? Your feedback on the pickup types is interesting. Is there any way to tell the Gotohs apart from the Kent Armstrong variants? I've restrung the bass now - so I'll have to check next time, but from memory these pickups appeared to have just plain silver metal backs - with no identifying marks on either the pickups or the covers. Anyone know how to tell them apart?

I've got a whole lot of other pics taken, and will try to take some, specifically looking at the damage marks. I've been putting together a blog for a while, covering the G&L, together with some of my other projects. There's a bit more info and a few more pics there: https://printhead235491263.wordpress.co ... -100-bass/

As I say - thanks for the feedback so far. Grateful for any info on these early LB-100's. They appear to be a bit of a rarity in the UK. Some people don't know what they're missing.

Thanks again
Chis

Postby TDR1138 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:10 am

That is a good looking bass...

Chis wrote: The handwritten SB427, in the pickup rout - is maybe a finish code? Your feedback on the pickup types is interesting. Is there any way to tell the Gotohs apart from the Kent Armstrong variants? I've restrung the bass now - so I'll have to check next time, but from memory these pickups appeared to have just plain silver metal backs - with no identifying marks on either the pickups or the covers. Anyone know how to tell them apart?

From what I've read, the Kent Armstrong pickups had black covers and the Gotohs had white, but I'm not totally certain about that. My guess is that yours are Gotohs, though, as I think the KAs were real early Legacy Bass production. Here's a shot of the undersides of mine, for reference. You can also see that I have some handwritten numbers in the pickup rout. No idea what the significance is. My body has the same "Leg" designation in the electronics cavity, but my neck has the "LB-100" penciled on where yours has "Leg."

IMG_4285.JPG
IMG_4285.JPG (98.39 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
TDR1138

Return to G&L Basses