G&L dealers

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

G&L dealers

Postby Youngspanion » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:31 am

Hi folks. I'm wondering if anyone (maybe Ken) knows if G&L knows which of their dealers has a large or diverse inventory on their showroom floor. I want to look at a few different basses. I'd like to try a Kiloton, an L1000, an M 2000 and an MJ4. Maybe I have to take a road trip but itd be worth it and it would be easier if I knew where to go too. :D

Thanks
Youngspanion

Re: G&L dealers

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:50 am

I don't know if G&L tracks in-store inventory. Kind of doubt it.

What geographical area are you looking for? Give people something to work with.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Youngspanion » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:18 am

It would be the New York, New Jersey area. I'm in New York City so that would be very easy but I have not seen any dealers with a large inventory of G&L bass. Usually I find one Tribute model L 2000.
Thanks Ken.
Youngspanion

Postby fatherska » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:30 pm

When I lived within reach, I was always satisfied to know that Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI was a G&L dealer, always with a half-dozen-or-so G&L basses in stock. Now, I no longer live in that area and Elderly, alas, no longer carries G&L at all.

When Bass Northwest was in business, it carried G&L - always a half-dozen or more G&Ls in stock, and always ready to take an order for one. Now, Bass Northwest is gone and the accessibility of a selection of G&L basses with it.

I totally comprehend Youngspanion's wish to try out a few G&L basses at once, possibly walking out of the shop with one, or having placed an order for one, informed by the showroom experience (e.g. this model, that neck, this finish).

Wouldn't it be great if Basses By Leo could be a source to look up current G&L dealers who typically have three or more basses in stock at any time?

Hint. Hint.
fatherska

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:27 pm

fatherska wrote:Wouldn't it be great if Basses By Leo could be a source to look up current G&L dealers who typically have three or more basses in stock at any time?

Hint. Hint.

Hint-Hint noted. Ain't gonna happen.

Remember that BassesByLeo is not a part of BBE/G&L. We get along really well and I have access that most do not have, but we're separate.

Such a service would required some sort of automated system to gather information from the dealers and present it here. Think custom programming and what-not for which I have neither the talent nor funding to provide. Yes I work in IT, but I'm not a programmer.

Such a service would require the cooperation and assistance of the dealers. If I were a dealer I would think long, hard, and critically about having my inventory numbers made available to the world via some website I have no control over.

Such a service would require the total blessing and support of BBE/G&L. If I were to ask, Dave would (justifiably) laugh me right out the door.

Many dealers have websites that display current stock. The better dealers keep their sites up to date.

Many small Mom & Pop dealers lack the computing infrastructure to do something like this.

Seriously, I think it's a great idea. But it would take a great deal of labor and a pretty large monetary investment on everone's part to make it happen.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby fatherska » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Okay.

I was really just thinking that people could post, say, "There's a G&L dealer in my town, called whatever whatever. Been stopping by there for a few years. They always have 3 or more G&L basses in store. All new ones circulated in since the last time I checked."

Maybe people could reply with something like, "Cool. I'm gonna check 'em out," or "I got my L-2000 there. Still smilin'."

This would not involve any online database or risk of confidentiality breaches; just another aspect of BbL community, I imagine.
fatherska

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:00 pm

fatherska wrote:Maybe people could reply with something like, "Cool. I'm gonna check 'em out," or "I got my L-2000 there. Still smilin'."

And that would be wonderful! That, I believe, is what Youngspanion is after.

Please understand that I'm not going to toss my 2 bits worth into it because I should at least attempt to remain impartial.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby fatherska » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:34 am

Okay everybody....

Under the thread title G&L Dealers, let's help each other to find G&L basses that we can put our hands on in stores, compare with others in the same stores, and take home.

We're looking for G&L dealers anywhere in the English-speaking world that typically have three or more G&L basses in stock at any time.

That means that we're looking for two sorts of input here:

1. Posts that concisely identify by name and locate at least by city any retail instrument shop that generally stocks three or more G&L basses at a time.

For example: "There's a G&L dealer in [name of city], called [name of musical instrument shop]. They always have 3 or more G&L basses in store. A couple of new ones circulated in since the last time I checked."

2. Posts that briefly verify those and/or briefly summarize experiences with the identified shops.

For example: "I've been stopping by there for a few years. They always have new and used G&L basses in stock."

For example: "I got my L-2000 there. They did a perfect set-up for me before I took it home."
fatherska

Postby RocketMusic » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:48 am

Sorry to be nakedly self serving, but I am one of these G&L dealers of which you speak. Check me out in For Sale.

Ken - if this post is too commercial for you, feel free to delete it without asking me. I was just trying to add some concrete info to the thread.

Ken Baker wrote:
Yeah, it is a little too commercial for this forum. I moved it to the For Sale section in The Marketplace. If it had been any other dealer.... :twisted:
RocketMusic

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:10 pm

fatherska wrote:We're looking for G&L dealers anywhere in the English-speaking world that typically have three or more G&L basses in stock at any time.

I wouldn't want to limit this to English-speaking countries. BassesByLeo has a remarkably international membership. While these not-from-the-Americas folks largely speak English, it's usually going to be as a second or third language. If someone knows of a great dealer in Madrid, Spain, that dealer should definitely be included.

This is a good idea and I'm willing to support it so long as we don't end up with a bunch of shill postings. As we sit right now, such posts would go into the Treasures forum. If it takes off, I can create a dedicated forum for this type of post. If this is something that we players want and are interested enough to get involved in, then let's do it.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Next

Return to G&L Basses