G&L SB2 neck

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

G&L SB2 neck

Postby bassfinder » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:26 pm

I just received a G&L bass,that had an SB2 neck,on 2006 L2000? I took a chance on buying the bass,and was hesitant about buying the bass. But I loved the Cherry Burst finish and body binding. I decided to sell the SB2 neck,and pursue getting an L2000 neck,from G&l factory. Was told that the holes on the neck,of the SB2 neck was for the three bolt G&L body,but previous owner had put 6 holes for the 6 hole L2000 body. Was told that devalued the neck because of all the holes that were in the heel of the neck now. I noticed the holes,for the three hole body,is not damaged. What a nightmare right. I will try to show pictures,if they are not too large. Any comments,or advise would be appreciated. Pictures are too big! Never have any luck in downsizing my pictures on here.

Thanks!
Last edited by bassfinder on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G&L Club Member #554
bassfinder

Re: G&L SB2 neck

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:19 pm

That bass came through here a few weeks back. The owner stated that he's just bought it and was looking for value. A few days later it showed up on Craigslist in SoCal.

The extra holes will likely devalue the neck a little. How much kind of depends. How much of a purist is the potential buyer is the main gotcha. A proper neck plate will be required to be used on a 3 bolt (Precision Tilt) bass.

As to photos here. 1024x768 is the max. Anything else will require some scrolling to view. Don't try to resize here on the board; it doesn't work very well. Just resize on your computer and host your images on IMGUR.COM, which is free and easy to use. As to software to do the resizing; Preview on the Mac works well and is built into macOS. If you're on Windows, download and install Paint.NET, which is also free and easy to use.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby bassfinder » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanks,for your reply,and advice. Stumbled up on someone that has a Tribute neck,that he says got from G&L clearance sale. Had the shipping label from back in 2015. He don't know if is for an L2000 which is what I am looking for,and sell the SB2 neck. It don't have the holes drilled at the heel,and no holes drilled for the tuner screws,but has the holes drilled for the tuner pegs,and it needs a new nut. I have some pictures of the bass,on G&L Club part 7,on Talkbass. I will try to download some pictures on here. How could I tell if the neck,I am referring to is for an L2000,or not?

Thanks!
G&L Club Member #554
bassfinder

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:47 pm

bassfinder wrote:Thanks,for your reply,and advice. Stumbled up on someone that has a Tribute neck,that he says got from G&L clearance sale. Had the shipping label from back in 2015. He don't know if is for an L2000 which is what I am looking for,and sell the SB2 neck. It don't have the holes drilled at the heel,and no holes drilled for the tuner screws,but has the holes drilled for the tuner pegs,and it needs a new nut. I have some pictures of the bass,on G&L Club part 7,on Talkbass. I will try to download some pictures on here. How could I tell if the neck,I am referring to is for an L2000,or not?

Yes, please post your pictures here. Please don't refer or link off to Talkbass. Fine folks over there, but the membership here deserves to see your pics in all their original glory.

As to how to tell if it's an SB-2 or L-2000 neck: Hard to say for the modern versions of these instruments if they're unlabeled. Current USA L-2000s have a 1 5/8" nut width and the SB-2 (USA and Tribute) has 1 1/2". The Tribute L-2000 nut is 1 3/4". Assuming that the neck will physically fit the body (there may be some question on this), either would work.

The reason for the question about fit is that the body pre-dates G&L's move to CNC roughing for necks & bodies. The original body and neck would have been hand fit. The current CNC necks, which is what those clearance necks are, will be very close but may require a little judicious adjusting to get a nice fit on a non-CNC body pocket.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby bassfinder » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:59 pm

Ok,Thanks,Ken,didn't know the policy,about other links. Sorry I will adhere to that in the future. Thank you,for all the info,much appreciated.
G&L Club Member #554
bassfinder

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:13 pm

bassfinder wrote:Ok,Thanks,Ken,didn't know the policy,about other links. Sorry I will adhere to that in the future. Thank you,for all the info,much appreciated.

There's no need to apologize. It's not a policy so much as just trying to make sure that people here aren't made to think that they have to go to the big guys for pictures. There are any number of ways to handle image hosting and a lot of them are free. For here, as well as any forum, IMGUR works very well. We can also host images here via attachment. Granted, it does take a little effort on the part of members, but the payoff is a lasting local information source.

Thanks!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby SailRI » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:49 am

bassfinder wrote:Thanks,for your reply,and advice. Stumbled up on someone that has a Tribute neck,that he says got from G&L clearance sale. Had the shipping label from back in 2015. He don't know if is for an L2000 which is what I am looking for,and sell the SB2 neck. It don't have the holes drilled at the heel,and no holes drilled for the tuner screws,but has the holes drilled for the tuner pegs,and it needs a new nut. I have some pictures of the bass,on G&L Club part 7,on Talkbass. I will try to download some pictures on here. How could I tell if the neck,I am referring to is for an L2000,or not?

Thanks!

I bought one of the clearance Tribute at the same time as a possible replacement for my L-2000 Tribute, because it was narrower at the nut. If I remember it was either the same as the SB-2 (1.5" at the nut) or just slightly wider and not the 1.75 of the standard width Tribute L-2000 neck, because I bought it just to get a narrower one.

I did buy it knowing I'd have to have a luthier do a final finishing on the neck - touch up to the frets, fit a new nut, install tuners (didn't come with any), do a final hand fitting of the heel, and I figured since it had no decal I'd probably go with a vintage tint refinish (don't remember if it had any finish at all).

They were so cheap they were good insurance if you needed one. But practically, most folks wouldn't go through the costs above just to replace a neck on a Tribute unless they had a bad neck or really wanted to have a 1.5" on a Tribute l-2000. There are no replacement options on Tribute necks not in warranty....

So now if you wanted to use a Tribute neck to replace a USA model's....

If I were in your place here would my questions needing answering:

1. You've already spent your money and you got what you got.
2. Are you totally unhappy with the existing neck? Sounds like the answer is yes. But why? Width? It's maple and you want rosewood or vide versa? You really want an L-2000 decal?
3. How much are you willing to spend to fix that? Sounds like up to the $500 for a factory replacement, but less if you can get away with it.
4. How much could the sale of a 3 Bolt SB-2 neck with an extra 6 holes offset the $500 cost of a new one?
5. Does the $500 include new hardware? If not that would affect #4.
6. How long can you wait to remedy the situation?

The Tribute neck would work. I don't know what it would cost you. But I have one and I would expect to pay around $250 at minimum including tuners to get myself a finished and fitted neck on to my Tribute and with no decal. Benefits for me would be I would have the maple I wanted, and a narrower nut, and a vintage tint, but not a decal.

You already have a G&L USA neck on there....

My guess is you want the model on the decal to match. And maybe you want the wider neck. If so you only have two options - the $500 for a factory replacement or be patient and expect to pay$180-$375 for someone selling a used 6-bolt L-2000 neck at the nut width you want. If you want the common 1.75" and are OK with either rosewood or maple (I think both work with Cherryburst and I have a maple cherry burst ASAT) that might take less than a year. Selling a no hardware SB-2 neck drilled for 3 holes and extra holes will get you back something less than that, probably. Or maybe someone with an SB-2 needing a new neck will pick it up at $225 because they have no other options either...
Bill
ASAT 3-Bolt - Cherryburst and Maple
L-2000 Series E - Mahogany and Maple
L-2000 Tribute in Amber w/Rosewood
L-2000 Honeyburst w/Rosewood
L-1500 Metallic Black w/Rosewood
SB-2 Black w/Maple
SailRI

Postby bassfinder » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:11 pm

IMG_20190112_135604260_2.jpg
IMG_20190112_135604260_2.jpg (215.39 KiB) Viewed 2782 times
Thanks,Bill,appreciate your thoughts,and advice about the necks. Previous owner put the SB-2 neck on the L2000 body. I was told that the SB-2 neck throws the intonation off,when it is installed on an L2000 body. So that is why I sold the neck,and fortunately found a US L2000 neck,to get the bass back to what it should be with matched neck. Person I got it from had a couple Tribute L2000 neck. He let me have a US loaded neck,with the correct decal. Looking forward to get the new neck next week. I sold the SB-2 neck,and after selling it,I managed to save,by not having to get a new neck,from G&L. Here is a picture of the US L2000 neck,I fortunately found from great G&L enthusiast,that helped me out. Finally figured out how to download a picture,of the neck,that is on its way to me. Will try to download a picture of the Cherry Burst L2000,after I get neck installed.

Thanks!
G&L Club Member #554
bassfinder

Postby fatherska » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:56 pm

For the benefit of anybody else in a similar situation:

Bassfinder wrote: "I was told that the SB-2 neck throws the intonation off, when it is installed on an L2000 body."

A G&L neck originally made for an SB-2 bass then put on any other G&L model bass would not "throw the intonation off" in a permanent or irreparable way. It would simply require good setup, as if necks were swapped between two basses of the same model.

The greatest risk you'd face: If that particular neck was not mated to that particular body when the bass was originally made, then the neck might not fit perfectly in the body's neck pocket.

If the neck had an L-2000 decal placed on it by the G&L factory because the factory mated that neck to that body, then the risk of imperfect fit would be low or the imperfection of the fit would be minimal.

There is nothing intrinsically incompatible about any G&L bass neck mated to any G&L bass body so that it would "throw the intonation off" in a way not correctible with customary tweaking of set-up and/or truss rod.
fatherska

Postby derick » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:53 pm

fatherska wrote:There is nothing intrinsically incompatible about any G&L bass neck mated to any G&L bass body so that it would "throw the intonation off" in a way not correctible with customary tweaking of set-up and/or truss rod.

Hi, there is a difference that one needs to be aware of between 3 bolt and 6 bolt necks...

The six-bolt necks are about 3/16 inch longer than the precision tilt necks. So in switching between these, you should be able to make up the intonation difference in the bridge adjustments or with longer saddle screws, but this difference is real.

3bolt.jpg
3 bolt neck
3bolt.jpg (64.43 KiB) Viewed 2662 times

6bolt.jpg
6 bolt neck
6bolt.jpg (46.26 KiB) Viewed 2662 times
derick

Return to G&L Basses