Custom Shop Colors

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Custom Shop Colors

Postby bigej2 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 am

Anyone know if retired colors are available for custom shop orders? I'm specifically curious about Yellow Fever.
bigej2

Re: Custom Shop Colors

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:18 am

As a very general rule, retired colors seldom return.

There's another general rule that goes along with G&L and that rule is "Never Say Never".

--So--

Contact a dealer and ask them to contact the factory for you. Explain that this would be a Custom Shop instrument and see what they say.

And yeah - Yellow Fever was pretty cool.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby bigej2 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:09 am

Wanted to follow up with the good advice Ken provided.

I contacted my G&L dealer who the contacted the Custom Shop. To save details, a deposit has been made. I'm excited and now the waiting begins.
bigej2

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:06 pm

bigej2 wrote:Wanted to follow up with the good advice Ken provided.

I contacted my G&L dealer who the contacted the Custom Shop. To save details, a deposit has been made. I'm excited and now the waiting begins.

Excellent!

Don't forget pics!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby tonymannara » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:31 pm

You have a FEVER...and the only cure...is more YELLOW!
tonymannara

Postby bigej2 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:19 pm

This is long overdue!

It has been a little over a year now since the bass was delivered. It took almost exactly five months from order to delivery, which is not long at all for a custom instrument. Quality is everything you would expect from a G&L. To be completely honest, overall workmanship is not materially different from what you would find on an off the shelf USA or option order model. The most noticeable feature is the finish. This one is what the Custom Shop calls thin urethane and I went with a satin neck. Both parts have a great feel to them. I found the body finish to be not quite as durable as poly but playing acoustically, is very resonate. The neck also feels great and it came setup perfectly. I opted for handwound pickups but keeping the same windings as the standard version. Compared to a late model Fender American Standard and MIM Standard jazz bass, the G&L has a little more clarity and sounded more organic if that makes sense. I found no dead spots on this bass and with even tone throughout the fretboard. The Custom Shop case is also pretty nice being just a tad more posh than the standard G&G one.

So to make a long story longer, I am extremely pleased with the way it turned out. Would I do it again? Absolutely! It took me a while but I finally figured out how to post a photo here.

bigej2

Postby bdgotoh » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:16 pm

Lovely bass - Congrats!
bdgotoh

Return to G&L Basses