G&L Pickguards

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

G&L Pickguards

Postby jim.i » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:56 pm

Is there a way to look at the various pickguards the G&L store offers? They list available pguards, but no pics.
jim.i

Re: G&L Pickguards

Postby bdgotoh » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:36 pm

Check this link Jim. Nothing there you'll want to buy, but it should give you an idea. https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/ ... /clearance
bdgotoh

Postby fatherska » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:57 pm

It sure would be nice if there were a reliable place on the web where we could see all of the pickguard colours available for G&Ls.

Surely I am not alone in experiencing frustration with google images in this regard.

For example, no matter how many times I thought I'd seen the distinctions between three-ply white, three-ply crème, and three-ply parchment, those distinctions remain vague to me. When it's definitely not white, how can I tell whether it is crème or parchment? Are crème and parchment actually distinct in look, or just in name? I have seen the differences clearly, only later to see images that confuse the matter all over again (all on the same screen; the display settings unchanged).

Seeing the answers to such questions as these would make requesting the desired pickguard easier, and thus make it easier to order a bass from a dealer confident the delivered bass will match expectations.

Somebody please provide a link to a place where we can see a definitive, authoritative palette of the pickguards currently available on G&L instruments. I'd expect that reply posts about discontinued and newly-introduced colours would naturally follow.

Hands up: Who else would like to see this?

...and wouldn't it be great if there were a reliable source to get crinkle-black metal G&L pickguards again?
fatherska

Postby RocketMusic » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:00 am

The folks at PickguardHeaven.com used to actually make the pickguards that G&L used. That was up until about 3-5 years ago when G&L finally started making their own pickguards in house. Anyway, pickguardheaven has a somewhat useful color palette. There are no guarantees that G&L's current colors match those exactly, but I bet they're close.

FWIW - on your specific inquiry, here's my take. Parchment is slightly more yellow/creamy than White, and Cream is more yellow/creamy than Parchment (really, it's like a very light beige, or coffee with a lot of cream in it). Parchment and Cream are both what I'd call off-white, with Cream being more "off" than Parchment.
Greg Bump
Owner, Rocket Music
RocketMusic

Postby fatherska » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:46 pm

Greg: Thank you for providing that resource. Also, I particularly appreciate your expert clarification about those three pickguard hues.

To check on a related point (A): You believe that white and parchment and crème pickguards are equally available on a special-order G&L bass; correct?

To check on a related point (B): I've seen examples of G&L basses apparently made without a pickguard, though the model comes standard with a pickguard (e.g. JB with figured maple top; no pickguard). On what modeIs are without-pickguard orders accepted? (FWIW, My curiosity focuses on the SB-1 and Kiloton models.)
fatherska

Postby RocketMusic » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:12 am

fatherska wrote:Greg: Thank you for providing that resource. Also, I particularly appreciate your expert clarification about those three pickguard hues.

To check on a related point (A): You believe that white and parchment and crème pickguards are equally available on a special-order G&L bass; correct?

To check on a related point (B): I've seen examples of G&L basses apparently made without a pickguard, though the model comes standard with a pickguard (e.g. JB with figured maple top; no pickguard). On what modeIs are without-pickguard orders accepted? (FWIW, My curiosity focuses on the SB-1 and Kiloton models.)

Hi, Ken - totally my pleasure!

FWIW - here's how pickguards work on G&L special orders. 3-ply White is their default color which is included at no charge. They also offer these other pickguard materials at a $72 MSRP upcharge (which turns into $50 added to the internet price of an instrument). This is the complete list of choices from the 2019 price list.

1-ply Black
3-ply Black
3-ply Cream
3-ply Mint
3-ply Parchment
4-ply White Pearloid
4-ply Tortoise Shell
1-ply White
3-ply White*

I'm tempted to say that these are the only pickguard materials they offer, but you know G&L. As soon as I say that, someone will post a photo of a bass they made yesterday with some other pickguard material. LOL

G&L does offer an option called Pickguard Delete (order code PD) which can be applied to some models. It's no charge. One good nugget to know on the JB and JB-5 models: G&L offers PD as an option on those, but the basses would still come with a chrome control plate (i.e. the Jaco look).

I don't have a complete list of which models can work with the PD option, but I will reach out to Ron Moreno today and see if he can provide me a list. I'm pretty sure it's a no on the Kiloton models, that's one I unsuccessfully ran up the flagpole last year. But maybe someone has been banging away at the CNC machine and programmed that option by now...
Last edited by RocketMusic on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Bump
Owner, Rocket Music
RocketMusic

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:22 am

Greg, I'm going to copy this pickguard info over to the inventory thread. As you, of course, so you can adjust and update as needed and as your time permits. If it becomes more than you want to deal with you can always email me the information and I can update for you.

Thanks!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby RocketMusic » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:41 am

I just heard back from Ron on the PD option. For basses, it only applies to the JB & JB-5 models at the current time.

In the past, Ron has suggested that they might be willing to do the CNC programming to add the PD option on other models if someone first ponies up a Custom Shop order. Once the Custom Shop has done that CNC work, then the option may eventually be made available on run of the mill USA orders. Someone just has to take the Custom Shop leap first...
Greg Bump
Owner, Rocket Music
RocketMusic

Postby RocketMusic » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:46 am

Ken Baker wrote:Greg, I'm going to copy this pickguard info over to the inventory thread. As you, of course, so you can adjust and update as needed and as your time permits. If it becomes more than you want to deal with you can always email me the information and I can update for you.

Thanks!

Ken...

Thanks, Ken!
Greg Bump
Owner, Rocket Music
RocketMusic

Return to G&L Basses