99 G&L ASAT MIJ

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

99 G&L ASAT MIJ

Postby nperis » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:15 am

Hi everyone and thanks for the add Ken.

I'm the new owner of a beautiful Made In Japan ASAT Bass.
Really loving it so far although I have not gigged it yet.

Would you guys know:
1) where I can find full specs for it
2) maybe also an owners guide
3) how many ASAT basses were made in Japan?

I tried to ask G&L but no response so far.

Cheers,
Nick.
nperis

Re: 99 G&L ASAT MIJ

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:40 am

nperis wrote:I'm the new owner of a beautiful Made In Japan ASAT Bass.
Really loving it so far although I have not gigged it yet.

Congrats! Of course you realize that this bass is just a figment of our collective imaginations. Until we see some pics to drool over it just doesn't exist. :mrgreen:

The MIJ G&L and G&L Tribute instruments were made in Japan under license and were only for the Japanese market. A few have leaked out, usually in the hands of US service members but also occasionally tourists. Basically, they're rarer than hen's teeth.

Would you guys know:
1) where I can find full specs for it

Essentially the same specs as the current US ASAT bass. The only big difference that may exist is neck attachment. US-made ASAT basses from that period had three bolt Precision Tilt necks; the current ones are 6 bolt.

2) maybe also an owners guide

Closest I can get. It's from earlier than yours, but should still work for you, especially if your neck is 3 bolt.
http://www.bassesbyleo.com/images/g&l_tech/glmanual.pdf

3) how many ASAT basses were made in Japan?

Unknown. Sorry.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby nperis » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:06 am

Well it is real Ken :-)

I was just struggling with the file size limitation but here is proof

I imported it from Japan via Reverb. The shop gave it a proper setup with new strings and even a neck and fret polish. She's in great shape bar a few scratches. The neck attachment is actually 4 bolts.

Thanks for the link to the specs. I do get a sense they are rare. In fact, from the bit of research i've done on them I think all ASAT basses are rare whether they are Tribute or US, but Japan seems to have been a very short run indeed!

99 MIJ ASAT small.jpg
99 MIJ ASAT small.jpg (205.48 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
nperis

Postby deltafred » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:29 am

What a beauty.

I see 2 strap buttons, is that standard on an ASAT, just on MIJ, or is it a mod and there is the original screw hole on the centre line (I know very little about ASATs).
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby nperis » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:34 am

Thanks, the extra strap knob is original. I read a review of a US ASAT Bass somewhere and it mentioned it too.

It does balance it better for me so good idea!
nperis

Postby Jammin4Jesus » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:26 pm

Yeah, I have only seen 2 bottom strap buttons on ASATs; however, I ordered my SB-2 with 2.
Jammin4Jesus

Postby Jammin4Jesus » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:30 pm

This is crazy!!!! As soon as I did my last post i went to e bay and did a search on G&l Basses and the 1st thing that popped up was a '91 ASAT with black crinkle 3 bolt neck and only 1 bottom strap button. A good question may be when did G&L introduce the 2 bottom strap buttons and what was the impetus?
Jammin4Jesus

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:35 pm

nperis wrote:Well it is real Ken :-)

I was just struggling with the file size limitation but here is proof

Yes, it is indeed a real bass! And a beauty! Thanks!

As to file size: Optimum image size for the board is 1024x768, which should automatically make file size doable. Host on IMGUR.COM and link in using IMG tags. Works like a champ.

I imported it from Japan via Reverb. The shop gave it a proper setup with new strings and even a neck and fret polish. She's in great shape bar a few scratches. The neck attachment is actually 4 bolts.

Very good. Having a 4 bolt neck is perfectly fine. If you ever need to dial in some tilt, you just do it with shims.

Thanks for the link to the specs. I do get a sense they are rare. In fact, from the bit of research i've done on them I think all ASAT basses are rare whether they are Tribute or US, but Japan seems to have been a very short run indeed!

ASAT basses have been around for a long time. And while they aren't as popular as the L Series body shape, the US versions are far from rare. OTOH, any of the MIJ basses are quite rare outside of Japan. You got yourself a nice piece.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:36 pm

Jammin4Jesus wrote:This is crazy!!!! As soon as I did my last post i went to e bay and did a search on G&l Basses and the 1st thing that popped up was a '91 ASAT with black crinkle 3 bolt neck and only 1 bottom strap button. A good question may be when did G&L introduce the 2 bottom strap buttons and what was the impetus?

Don't know when, but probably late 90s. As to why... Help alleviate neck dive.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jim.i » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:51 pm

There was someone in years past who made a gizmo that attached to the back of an ASAT and provided for good balance by bringing the upper strap button to the 12th fret area. I don't know if still available nor do i remember his contact info, but here's a pic...

fullsizeoutput_d7f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_d7f.jpeg (183.64 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
jim.i

Next

Return to G&L Basses