A few questions regarding a 1981 L2K

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

A few questions regarding a 1981 L2K

Postby P-punk » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:14 am

Hi.

So I recently bought an old (beat up) L2K. Never seen a so dirty bass! I've cleaned up most of it, and oiled the ebony board. However I still have a little cleaning to do, and will have to do a proper set up before I start to play and enjoy it.

I have a few questions I'm sure someone here knows the answer to. Most (or all) of it, I could probably figure out myself while trying, but just to be safe som I don't break anything, I thought it would be better to consult the experts:

- I'd like to remove the bridge saddels to give both them and the bridge a proper clean. How to do I do this? Is it just like any other bridge? Just unscrew the saddles?
- I suppose it's possible to remove the control plate and all the knobs and switches for cleaning, while still keeping the electronics in the cavity?

Thank in advance for any help!
P-punk

Re: A few questions regarding a 1981 L2K

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 am

P-punk wrote:- I'd like to remove the bridge saddels to give both them and the bridge a proper clean. How to do I do this? Is it just like any other bridge? Just unscrew the saddles?

Loosen the saddle lock screw on the side of the bridge using the same size allen key you use to adjust the saddles. If you remove the saddle lock screw, be aware that there should be a little nylon piece in there and you don't want to lose it. Then remove the bridge screws to lift the bridge off the body. Remove the saddles by removing the intonation screws, being careful to not lose the springs. Before reassembly, give this a read.

- I suppose it's possible to remove the control plate and all the knobs and switches for cleaning, while still keeping the electronics in the cavity?

Yes, if you're really careful. Remove the knobs then remove all the nuts holding the pots and switches in place. Remove the screws holding the plate to the body and carefully lift the plate straight up. Getting everything lined up for reassembly will be a challenge. Don't over-tighten the nuts - snug is all you need.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: A few questions regarding a 1981 L2K

Postby P-punk » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Thank you so much Ken! :-)
P-punk

Return to G&L Basses