LB-100 custom shop pickups models

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

LB-100 custom shop pickups models

Postby MrKode » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:52 am

Hi folks,

I was looking at having a second LB-100 built and I’m wondering what pickups to choose.

The current LB-100 I have has the stock pickups from 2-3 years ago which are a bit overwound and positionned a bit closer towards the bridge. Is that the same as the 96 custom shop mode?

And what about the 57 one? Same positionning but not overwound? Does it have the staggered A string pole pieces? More vintage sounding than the 96?

Thanks!
MrKode

Re: LB-100 custom shop pickups models

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:31 pm

MrKode wrote:I was looking at having a second LB-100 built and I’m wondering what pickups to choose.

You don't like the factory Alnico V pickup?

The current LB-100 I have has the stock pickups from 2-3 years ago which are a bit overwound and positionned a bit closer towards the bridge. Is that the same as the 96 custom shop mode?

And what about the 57 one? Same positionning but not overwound? Does it have the staggered A string pole pieces? More vintage sounding than the 96?

Okay, I'm confused.

Remember, the LB-100 isn't a Fender Custom Shop bass. It is a standard production bass (with lots of options) and is G&L's take on a Precision-style bass. Only one pickup is available. If you want to play with different pickups you are welcome to, but you're on your own.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby MrKode » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:51 pm

I don’t know since when the info is on the website but G&L now has a custom shop department.

Withing the options you can choose there Nitro finish for the body and the neck, two levels of relicing and two types of pickups.

From the G&L website

CLF-96-LB-N Handwound with wind specs based on ’96 LB-100 split coil. 42 gauge wire and 10,500 turns, approx. 6.1k Ohms

CLF-57-LB-N Handwound with wind specs based on Leo’s 1957 Precision Bass. 42 gauge wire and 10,000 turns, approx. 5.7k Ohms

http://glguitars.com/cs-bass-options/
MrKode

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:14 pm

My apologies, as I did not know that they had expanded the old Custom Creations shop.

I need to dig in with G&L on this.

Thanks!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby TDR1138 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:17 pm

The Custom Shop is a pretty new thing that seems to have snuck in with a website redesign. G&L has, in my opinion, done a pretty poor job of promoting it in terms of what differentiates it from their standard "I want to order a USA bass with these options" way that they have been operating.

Their Facebook page is pretty droolworthy, though... https://www.facebook.com/gandlcustomshop/
TDR1138

Return to G&L Basses