Some help with a NOS G&L LB-100

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Some help with a NOS G&L LB-100

Postby tragicmagic » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:48 am

I just picked up a NOS 2016 Ruby Red Metallic G&L LB-100 from Guitar Center in NYC. Great Bass, but not without some issues. Some of it can be attributed to being in times square where a lot of tourists come through and mishandle gear on the shop floor (i.e. finish dings, scratches, missing volume knob). Some might be due to the dealer itself (missing/misplaced paperwork). But some issues could also be G&L... All the G&L basses I saw there (two L2ks aside from the LB-100 I bought) were missing the nylon bushing and setscrew for the saddle lock bridge. I don't think random people come up and take those, and I doubt the employees did anything with the basses aside from hanging a tag and putting them on the shop floor.

The hardshell case had the paperwork for a different (natural finish, different serial) LB-100, which I gave back - the only other LB-100 they had is on lay-away and was in the hardshell case for mine, but it didn't have the paperwork in there.

1) The most important thing is getting that locking setscrew/nylon bushing.
I can't seem to find contact info for G&L directly - they want everything to go through the dealer. I bought it new from Guitar Center, but I don't have high hopes for them. After checking today, apparently they are no longer listed on the official dealers list in New York... Manny's Music (where I got my ASAT bass back in 2002) no longer exists, and there's no official dealer in NYC listed.

I checked the G&L myshopify online store under "bridge components" and there's no listing for those parts.

2) How do I get paperwork? On the G&L support page (http://glguitars.com/support/#149860614 ... 3ea5b-3f99), the link for it gets a 404 error.

3) Are there pickup height setup recommendations for the stock XL170 strings? I remember the manual for my ASAT bass had some measurements for the factory setup listed on there.

4) For the missing knob, I guess I'll just have to put on a generic after market knob to put on there for now.
tragicmagic

Re: Some help with a NOS G&L LB-100

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:44 am

tragicmagic wrote:I just picked up a NOS 2016 Ruby Red Metallic G&L LB-100 from Guitar Center in NYC. Great Bass, but not without some issues. Some of it can be attributed to being in times square where a lot of tourists come through and mishandle gear on the shop floor (i.e. finish dings, scratches, missing volume knob). Some might be due to the dealer itself (missing/misplaced paperwork). But some issues could also be G&L... All the G&L basses I saw there (two L2ks aside from the LB-100 I bought) were missing the nylon bushing and setscrew for the saddle lock bridge. I don't think random people come up and take those, and I doubt the employees did anything with the basses aside from hanging a tag and putting them on the shop floor.

Never underestimate the ability of people to take stuff that isn't theirs. I've only known a couple instances where the saddle lock bushing and set screw were missing from the factory.

The hardshell case had the paperwork for a different (natural finish, different serial) LB-100, which I gave back - the only other LB-100 they had is on lay-away and was in the hardshell case for mine, but it didn't have the paperwork in there.

Ah, the magic that is Guitar Center. :roll:

1) The most important thing is getting that locking setscrew/nylon bushing.
I can't seem to find contact info for G&L directly - they want everything to go through the dealer. I bought it new from Guitar Center, but I don't have high hopes for them. After checking today, apparently they are no longer listed on the official dealers list in New York... Manny's Music (where I got my ASAT bass back in 2002) no longer exists, and there's no official dealer in NYC listed.

I checked the G&L myshopify online store under "bridge components" and there's no listing for those parts.

2) How do I get paperwork? On the G&L support page (http://glguitars.com/support/#149860614 ... 3ea5b-3f99), the link for it gets a 404 error.

3) Are there pickup height setup recommendations for the stock XL170 strings? I remember the manual for my ASAT bass had some measurements for the factory setup listed on there.

4) For the missing knob, I guess I'll just have to put on a generic after market knob to put on there for now.

Knobs. For the other stuff you need, contact Memo in repairs. He can probably help you with paperwork as well.

As to pickup height... This is subjective enough that there really isn't a need for hard & fast recommendations. This is a fancy way of telling you to just experiment until you get the tone you're after.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: Some help with a NOS G&L LB-100

Postby tragicmagic » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:11 pm

Thanks Ken! I was able to get in touch with Memo and he's taking care of all the issues. :D
tragicmagic

Return to G&L Basses