L2000 Tribute - Quest for a Thinner Neck

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

L2000 Tribute - Quest for a Thinner Neck

Postby thedukeofno » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:36 am

Folks:

I have a L2000 Tribute that gets zero playing time, basically due to the neck profile. I enjoy the tone and the feel of the bass under my plucking hand, but my left hand hates it. My other basses all have 1.5” (38mm) wide necks (at the nut). My hand, muscle memory, etc. all just seem to work well around that thin, jazz-based neck. It’s terrible because I just don’t enjoy playing the tribute any longer.

I’d rather not sell it, mostly because I simply don’t want to. I like the idea of challenging myself to figure out how to either replace with a new neck, or thin the existing one. I’ve been getting fairly deep into furniture making and I have the tools, spokeshaves, scrapers, etc. to thin the neck. Problem is you can’t really find too many examples where folks have thinned the neck in this dimension.

Alternatively, I could use it as a scrap bass, test my skills at doing inlays and take one of the MFD’s and install it in the neck extreme neck position on my jazz. Just because.

Opinions?
thedukeofno

Re: L2000 Tribute - Quest for a Thinner Neck

Postby TDR1138 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 am

Or, another alternative would be to pick up a used SB-2 or JB-2 Tribute, and swap necks and sell off what you don't want. Or even just find a used neck. The SB-2 and JB-2 both have 1.5" nuts. Not unheard of to find a used JB-2 under $300. I know a few people have done neck swaps on these in the past.
TDR1138

Postby thedukeofno » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:06 am

TDR1138 wrote:Or, another alternative would be to pick up a used SB-2 or JB-2 Tribute, and swap necks and sell off what you don't want. Or even just find a used neck. The SB-2 and JB-2 both have 1.5" nuts. Not unheard of to find a used JB-2 under $300. I know a few people have done neck swaps on these in the past.

I didn’t know the SB-2 and JB-2 Tributes had 1.5” nuts. Good to know. Thanks for the info.
thedukeofno

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:09 am

thedukeofno wrote:I didn’t know the SB-2 and JB-2 Tributes had 1.5” nuts. Good to know. Thanks for the info.

This is probably the best solution, though it takes your woodworking skills out of the picture.

If you do decide to shave the neck width you'll want to be careful of doing any thinning to the thickness of the neck. This to avoid running into stability problems with the trussrod. Shaving width shouldn't be a problem so long as any shaping you do around to the back is kept to the bare minimum.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby thedukeofno » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:17 pm

I've recently come across a spare USA-Fender jazz neck. Anyone know what it would take to get it to fit a tribute?
thedukeofno

Postby TDR1138 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:01 pm

It won't fit, at least without some serious modification. The G&L neck is longer, has an extra fret than the Fender, and is a little bit narrower at the heel, too. So, you'd have to widen the neck pocket, and you'd have some gap at the heel, to keep the scale length correct.
TDR1138

Return to G&L Basses