New (to me) USA L2500: stock neck joint? w/ pics

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

New (to me) USA L2500: stock neck joint? w/ pics

Postby Karl Kaminski » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:39 am

Hi All,
I picked up my 1st USA G&L, a used L2500 [Neck s/n CLF51xxx, Preamp G&L v1.1 Green PCB, with G&L Cerificate] I believe Im the 3rd owner; 1st owner traded-in/sold to thebassplace?, 2nd owner bought from TBP, and then came to me in a trade. It plays/sounds/feels great.

Today I was researching; checking s/n dates, preamp version, etc. I noticed the neck fit wasn't as professionally finished as Id expect. Theres a slight wavy edge and the neck corners radii don't fit tightly. (When testing the bass I wasn't able to notice and discrepancies/flaws in any of the body, neck, or joint as it plays/sounds great, so this slipped past me)

I removed the neck to find it had been re-leveled;

the Sharpie on the neck heel [L2500 MP TGN] seems legit right? MP=maple, TGN = tinted Gloss Neck?
IMG_3033.jpg
IMG_3033.jpg (236.86 KiB) Viewed 1735 times

the date stamp appears to be partly shaved off by the leveling, but appears to read "_ _ 2608"
IMG_3034.jpg
IMG_3034.jpg (202.13 KiB) Viewed 1735 times

Can anyone speak to the leveling? Was this a final fitting since the gloss tint is so thick? Was it an after-mod by the 1st owner or TBassPlace? I feel like its a final fitting but the route trimming isn't the cleanest/straightest. Do all these images jive with the S/N and rest of info?

LOL, being the third owner and its still under 10yr warranty, can I return/replace the body for a tighter fit? :lol:

Also curious if anyone knows meaning of the codes of the label (i.e. SO#, LN#), and how they relate to "CLF" s/n, Born-on date, custom ordering, etc.
IMG_3038.jpg
IMG_3038.jpg (249.71 KiB) Viewed 1735 times

ok, I got to get this back together and play it!
Thanks or any insight
Karl Kaminski

Re: New (to me) USA L2500: stock neck joint? w/ pics

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:17 pm

Chapito wrote:Today I was researching; checking s/n dates, preamp version, etc. I noticed the neck fit wasn't as professionally finished as Id expect. Theres a slight wavy edge and the neck corners radii don't fit tightly. (When testing the bass I wasn't able to notice and discrepancies/flaws in any of the body, neck, or joint as it plays/sounds great, so this slipped past me)

Back then... After the bodies were painted, finished, and polished, a worker would take a small hand grinder and remove any leftover paint in the body pocket. This is done because the finish, when completed, can be quite thick and less than optimal for sound propagation from neck to body. Wood to wood is best. I've not seen them screw this up, but I guess it's possible.

I removed the neck to find it had been re-leveled;

It could be from the factory or from a technician or other service person at a shop who perceived a problem and further ground on it. The marks I see are consistent with what the factory does.

the Sharpie on the neck heel [L2500 MP TGN] seems legit right? MP=maple, TGN = tinted Gloss Neck?

Yup.

Can anyone speak to the leveling? Was this a final fitting since the gloss tint is so thick? Was it an after-mod by the 1st owner or TBassPlace? I feel like its a final fitting but the route trimming isn't the cleanest/straightest. Do all these images jive with the S/N and rest of info?

Nope, can't speak to the grinding. Could be either factory or after-the-fact, though I would lean toward after-the-fact because of the lighter color of wood. Maybe a previous owner didn't want a shim and had the pocket ground on instead to give the neck a little tilt. I dunno; just a WAG. As per the usual disclaimer, I don't have the bass in front of me and have no knowledge of its history.

LOL, being the third owner and its still under 10yr warranty, can I return/replace the body for a tighter fit? :lol:

Yeah, that's a genuine LOL. Warranty for original purchaser only. G&L would likely say no regardless if the pocket had been ground on by a third party.

Also curious if anyone knows meaning of the codes of the label (i.e. SO#, LN#), and how they relate to "CLF" s/n, Born-on date, custom ordering, etc.

G&L doesn't do "born-on" dating the way that other manufacturers do. You can search the registry or judge build date based upon any dates that you find on the neck heel or body pocket. SO# is sales order, which isn't something that would help you because it's between G&L and the dealer. None of them relate to the serial number. The closest thing you appear to have is the tracking sticker in the pickup cavity

ok, I got to get this back together and play it!

The proper thing to do.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Karl Kaminski » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Hey thanks for the insight Ken! It puts my mind at ease with this trade. Loving this bass and the US Pre after playing a Tribute for the past several month.
Karl Kaminski

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Chapito wrote:Loving this bass and the US Pre after playing a Tribute for the past several month.

Quieter, huh?

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Karl Kaminski » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:52 pm

What really got me was the quality of the tone and dialing in adjustments. I had both basses with me in the studio so the comparison was nice. For lack of a better term, the US model to me just seemed "more juicy" and smooth. The Tribute was a little brittle or dull or some variant of the two. Same LM4250 chip, but I guess the resistors, caps, and pots in the US model create that difference? Real happy with it but...

Quieter? IDK... after copper shielding the Tribute, it was dead silent in all settings. The US model seems to be sensitive to RF in Act mode in my apt while sitting at my DAW (though it was quiet in the studio), but my home studio is far from ideal. Im gonna shield this one as well and see if I can eliminate it.

On that note, I tend to shield pup cavities/tunnels/control cavity/back of cover. Do you guys go so thorough too? Ive seen some guys don't bother, or only to the pup cav, or only the control cav, just seems like leaving it half exposed. What do you guys do?
Karl Kaminski

Postby TDR1138 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:46 pm

Ken Baker wrote:
Back then... After the bodies were painted, finished, and polished, a worker would take a small hand grinder and remove any leftover paint in the body pocket. This is done because the finish, when completed, can be quite thick and less than optimal for sound propagation from neck to body. Wood to wood is best. I've not seen them screw this up, but I guess it's possible.

My ‘00 L2k had some nasty overspray in the neck pocket. Kind of acted like a shim, but made the strings feel very far from the body even when set up with low action. I ended up using a Dremel with a router bit/attachment. Took about 1/16” of wood out of the neck pocket, too. Got it nice and flat, and it feels much better when set up now.
TDR1138

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Chapito wrote:Quieter? IDK... after copper shielding the Tribute, it was dead silent in all settings. The US model seems to be sensitive to RF in Act mode in my apt while sitting at my DAW (though it was quiet in the studio), but my home studio is far from ideal. Im gonna shield this one as well and see if I can eliminate it.

By quiet, I was only talking about the preamp and not noise from external sources. Crank the Tribute up in active mode and you may here some hiss. The USA should have notably less hiss or none at all.

On that note, I tend to shield pup cavities/tunnels/control cavity/back of cover. Do you guys go so thorough too? Ive seen some guys don't bother, or only to the pup cav, or only the control cav, just seems like leaving it half exposed. What do you guys do?

Shielding an L series is a pain, but doable. I don't think I'd worry much about the pickup cavities or the wire holes, but shielding the control cavity and the back of the cover will help.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Karl Kaminski » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:56 pm

yes, definitely no noise. I've been playing around tonight in different settings and just loving the clarity with everything cranked or even at 80%, again to me its "juicy!" :P (I just can't find another description at the moment)

I really want to try a single coil mod on this. Gotta say while the tribute was great to get my feet wet, this upgrade to the US G&L is worth it! Kinda obvious but its just so damn good :D
Karl Kaminski

Postby Karl Kaminski » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:24 am

Ken Baker wrote:Shielding an L series is a pain, but doable. I don't think I'd worry much about the pickup cavities or the wire holes, but shielding the control cavity and the back of the cover will help.
Ken...

With a future single coil mod in mind, would you consider shielding the pup cav too?
Karl Kaminski

Return to G&L Basses