help wiring diagram standard L2000 4 string of 2009

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

help wiring diagram standard L2000 4 string of 2009

Postby cristiano49 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:57 am

Buon Giorno This is my first post, I write from Italy I do not speak English I use the google translator, I own a G & L L2000 year 2009 with preamp rev 1.1, I bought it used I would like to restore it, it has been modified in the electronic part is now configured like a PJ some of you have the original electronic diagram, if I find a drawing I can do the work myself, I do not have technical knowledge but manually I manage it well thanks in advance only you can save me
Attachments
l2k_wiring_diagram PG.jpg
l2k_wiring_diagram PG.jpg (154.59 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
Last edited by cristiano49 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cristiano49

Re: help wiring diagram original L2000 4 string of 2009

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:27 pm

You can use the drawing you've linked in above or use this one:

Click the image for a PDF.

Note that these drawings reference version 1.1 of the preamp. If you use preamp version 1.3 the resistor on the yellow lead going to the active/passive switch will not be on the lead, but on the board. Otherwise, they are the same.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: help wiring diagram original L2000 4 string of 2009

Postby cristiano49 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:09 pm

infinitely thanks I'm working on it as soon as I finish I'll let you know the result I'd like to use my g & L as leo fender designed it the sound must be original thanks maybe the translator does not allow me to express myself at best ken the design you posted is the same as mine, I look for a diagram to restore my L2000, in the original configuration as released from the factory, I would like to play all 4 coils in series or in parallel any of you users can give me a hand ??
cristiano49

Re: help wiring diagram standard L2000 4 string of 2009

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Okay. Let's keep this here. I understand that language differences may be a problem, so I'll do the best I can.

You said that the electronics have been modified. You did not give any indication other than "PJ" what the modifications are. So I'll start off with some questions.

1. Do you have the original electronics? By this I mean the controls, switches, preamp, and all the little parts that go along with them. Using the drawings above should allow you to tell what you need. With that information, compare what you have to what you need. If you need a partially assembled kit, G&L sells a preamp assembly that can make this easier.

2. When you said "PJ", what do you mean? It would be very difficult to wire an L-2000 like a PJ because of the way the pickups are built. Please provide pictures of the front of the body showing the pickups and a picture of the open control cavity. Please provide good clear photos and size them to 1024X768. You can upload them here as attachments or host them on IMGUR.COM and use IMG tags.

3. What is your experience working with small electronics? Have you ever worked on anything with the level of complexity found in a G&L L-2000? It can be a virtual rat's nest in the cavity, and that makes this a bit harder to do.

4. Do you have the tools necessary for this sort of job? Small soldering iron? Small wire rosin core solder? Small wire cutters? Small long nose pliers?

We have the circuit drawings here that you can use to guide you, but if you don't have all the parts necessary or the tools then you're kind of stuck.

Finally, please understand that it is impossible for us to guide you step by step. You have to do the work because we can't and we have to assume you have the ability to take this on. I'm sorry, but this is just a fact. So review the list above and let us know what you have. Don't forget the pictures, as they might be useful in telling us where you are with the bass as it is today.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby cristiano49 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:00 am

GOOD DAY I state that I write from Italy I do not speak English I use the google translator to read and write, I apologize for the difficulties ,, L2000 of 2009 preamp rev 1.1. the bass just bought was working in series "" only the external jazz bass coils "" then single coil, in parallel all 4 coils, the switch neck and bridge switches is on on on, the parallel serial switch on on and two I think are standard from the factory, the volume potentiometer had been replaced with a coax to divide the volumes coils neck coils bridge jazz style bass, to an acquaintance of mine I had a 250k cts standard volume potentiometer fitted, I gave him the design that I posted above, now the bass works like a fender pj style, using the selector pickup switch, towards the handle work the coils to the handle, in the central position "boat" work the two coils of the neck pickup and the external coil near the bridge, selector in position towards the bridge only works the outer coil near the bridge, I look for a design to restore the bass in standard no modification all 4 coils have to work in series or in parallel, the d I have been used for this configuration, what I posted at the beginning 3d I thought it was standard I was wrong otherwise I would not have used it, if I have a drawing to follow I have the ability to solder the wires, I have no electronic technical skills, all 8 the wires of the pickups were measured before the current change there are no interruptions thanks for the patience of those who will give me a greetings Christian greetings
Attachments
20180309113914.jpg
20180309113914.jpg (139.82 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
20180309112601.jpg
20180309112601.jpg (155.52 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
Last edited by cristiano49 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cristiano49

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:37 am

cristiano49 via Google Translate wrote:GOOD DAY I state that I write from Italy I do not speak English I use the google translator to read and write, I apologize for the difficulties ,, L2000 of 2009 preamp rev 1.1. the bass just bought was working in series "" only the external jazz bass coils "" then single coil, in parallel all 4 coils, the switch neck and bridge switches is on on on, the parallel serial switch on on and two I think are standard from the factory, the volume potentiometer had been replaced with a coax to divide the volumes coils neck coils bridge jazz style bass, to an acquaintance of mine I had a 250k cts standard volume potentiometer fitted, I gave him the design that I posted above, now the bass works like a fender pj style, using the selector pickup switch, towards the handle work the coils to the handle, in the central position "boat" work the two coils of the neck pickup and the external coil near the bridge, selector in position towards the bridge only works the outer coil near the bridge, I look for a design to restore the bass in standard no modification all 4 coils have to work in series or in parallel, the d I have been used for this configuration, what I posted at the beginning 3d I thought it was standard I was wrong otherwise I would not have used it, if I have a drawing to follow I have the ability to weld the wires, I have no electronic technical skills, all 8 the wires of the pickups were measured before the current change there are no interruptions thanks for the patience of those who will give me a greetings Christian greetings

The picture of the cavity doesn't really help. Sorry, it is too close in and out of focus.

Edit to add... Looking at the second photo, it appears that the pickups have been lowered so much that the plastic covers have deformed. It is unlikely that the coils inside have been damaged, but it is possible that a lead might be crushed or pulled off a coil.

As noted earlier, either of the circuit drawings above would be correct for your bass. If you are able to closely follow one of them to reconnect the electronics, you should have a fully working L-2000. Of course, all the parts have to be correct and in good working order.

If the coil select switch is the standard 2 position switch you can follow the drawing and it should work. If the coil select switch is 3 position, you will need to replace it with the correct 2 position switch to return the bass to stock.

Are the pots correct? The volume and treble pots are 250K ohm audio taper, and should be available from the usual suppliers. The bass pot is 1M reverse audio taper, which is an unusual part best sourced from G&L.

Are the pickups in good condition? If you have an ohmmeter, you can check resistance of the individual coils. You should see about 4K ohms across the white/black leads and the green/yellow leads of each pickup. This is best tested with the pickups disconnected from the switch. There could be a very small amount of variance from the 4K ohms. Anything more than just a few ohms variance would be an indication of a bad coil. If you have a bad coil you can replace the pickup or have it repaired by a shop that provides this service.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby cristiano49 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:02 am

ok thank you so much I see if I can find a solution
cristiano49

Return to G&L Basses