Most Versatile of G&L’s Bass Offerings

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Curious as to the group’s take as to which G&L bass is the most versatile

ASAT
1
4%
JB (4/5)
0
No votes
Kiloton (4/5)
0
No votes
L2000/2500
22
96%
LB-100
0
No votes
M2000
0
No votes
MJ-4/5
0
No votes
SB-1
0
No votes
SB-2
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 23

Most Versatile of G&L’s Bass Offerings

Postby thedukeofno » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:15 am

Curious as to the group’s take as to which G&L bass is the most versatile. Remember, your opinion is always correct.
thedukeofno
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:30 am

Re: Most Versatile of G&L’s Bass Offerings

Postby asat77 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 am

If you are talking about the most allround bass for allround (pop)music I would chose the L2000/L2500 but if it's more to allround rock music I would chose the Asat bass.
asat77
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Re: Most Versatile of G&L’s Bass Offerings

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:37 am

asat77 wrote:If you are talking about the most allround bass for allround (pop)music I would chose the L2000/L2500 but if it's more to allround rock music I would chose the Asat bass.


Please explain.

I ask because the ASAT Bass is an L Series bass with a different body. Electronically, the two lines are identical.

Ken...
User avatar
Ken Baker
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4219
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:33 am
Location: 12 miles WSW of Fender Ave. Fullerton

Re: Most Versatile of G&L’s Bass Offerings

Postby asat77 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:14 am

My Asat bass has more boost than my L2000. Those two basses really sound different. I love them both.
asat77
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Re: Most Versatile of G&L’s Bass Offerings

Postby bigtone23 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:20 pm

I see the results are unanimous at this point. It's really a no brainer for the L2K to be the most versatile.
July 1983 El Toro. Rosewood, black, alder? body. 10 pounds.
User avatar
bigtone23
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 9:55 pm
Location: Denver Colorado

Re: Most Versatile of G&L’s Bass Offerings

Postby thedukeofno » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:05 am

bigtone23 wrote:I see the results are unanimous at this point. It's really a no brainer for the L2K to be the most versatile.


I’ve personally never played an M2000 or an ASAT so I was curious what those owners thought. A different way around the “L2000 vs M2000” debate.
thedukeofno
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:30 am

Re: Most Versatile of G&L’s Bass Offerings

Postby bdgotoh » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:06 am

thedukeofno wrote:I’ve personally never played an M2000 or an ASAT so I was curious what those owners thought. A different way around the “L2000 vs M2000” debate.


This is just my personal opinion, but ASATs are an ergonomic nightmare that sounds like an L-2000, and the M2000 is nice but I prefer the L-2000 setup. I've never been a big fan of active only, boost/cut controls. The Tri-Tone PTB preamp and controls are the best ever designed IMO - the controls work the same whether active or passive and I find them really simple for getting whatever tone I want.
User avatar
bdgotoh
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Most Versatile of G&L’s Bass Offerings

Postby bassclef83 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:58 am

bdgotoh wrote:
thedukeofno wrote:
This is just my personal opinion, but ASATs are an ergonomic nightmare that sounds like an L-2000, and the M2000 is nice but I prefer the L-2000 setup. I've never been a big fan of active only, boost/cut controls. The Tri-Tone PTB preamp and controls are the best ever designed IMO - the controls work the same whether active or passive and I find them really simple for getting whatever tone I want.


My basses stay passive 99% of the time. Even passive, the MFD p/u's are just as hot as other active basses.
bassclef83
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: Most Versatile of G&L’s Bass Offerings

Postby bigtone23 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:14 am

bdgotoh wrote:
thedukeofno wrote:I’ve personally never played an M2000 or an ASAT so I was curious what those owners thought. A different way around the “L2000 vs M2000” debate.


This is just my personal opinion, but ASATs are an ergonomic nightmare that sounds like an L-2000, and the M2000 is nice but I prefer the L-2000 setup. I've never been a big fan of active only, boost/cut controls. The Tri-Tone PTB preamp and controls are the best ever designed IMO - the controls work the same whether active or passive and I find them really simple for getting whatever tone I want.

My feelings, exactly about the ASAT. The tone is the same, but that shorter upper horn throws the balance off and they tend to neck dive.
M2000 is also flexible, but the active/passive nature of the L gives the edge. Do the K mod and fugeddebout it!
July 1983 El Toro. Rosewood, black, alder? body. 10 pounds.
User avatar
bigtone23
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 9:55 pm
Location: Denver Colorado

Re: Most Versatile of G&L’s Bass Offerings

Postby Nedmundo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:37 pm

I think the M-2000/2500 and L-2000/2500 are similar for versatility. They both cover huge ranges of tones, and each does things the other can't. The L-series has active/passive operation and series/parallel switching for the pickups, but the M-series has the blend control and active EQ. The L's passive operation is a huge plus IMO, but the M's blend control is incredibly useful, and allows it to approximate L-1500/Kiloton sounds, for example.

I think Ed Friedland's video mashup of the two is excellent, and convinced me I could take the plunge with an M-2500 even though I usually don't like active-only basses. It's been fantastic. I still want an L-2500, largely for the passive operation, but also, you know, just because! :D
Nedmundo
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:51 am

Next

Return to G&L Basses

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests