CLF Research L-2000

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

CLF Research L-2000

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:56 pm

Here you go. New shiny things with extra shiny.

The new CLF Research L-2000

In the late 1970s, Clarence Leo Fender was looking forward to launching his new G&L brand featuring his latest innovations including Magnetic Field Design pickups and the Saddle Lock bridge. Leo developed these technologies at his CLF Research company, and production of his new G&L instruments took place in the CLF Research factory on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California, where G&L production continues today.

The new CLF Research L-2000 is a fully modern “2k” that pays homage to its roots with classic details including the early CLF/G&L headstock and neck profile, beautifully reproduced CLF knobs and '81 control plate, and color-coded mini-toggle switch tips.

Period-perfect thin urethane finishes are:

• Candy Apple Red or Jet Black over Basswood
• Natural Ash
• faded 3-Tone Sunburst over Okoume

Available to order. Please contact your favorite dealer for a quote.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: CLF Research L-2000

Postby Tomvl » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:16 pm

Is whatever best i have seen from G&L line
I vote the sunburst !!
Anything below 500 Hz
Tomvl

Postby derick » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:50 am

What happened to the Schaller-made BML tuners? The "stalk" on these tuners is longer, and there's a collar on the shaft.

Did G&L change suppliers on their tuning keys?
derick

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:54 pm

derick wrote:What happened to the Schaller-made BML tuners? The "stalk" on these tuners is longer, and there's a collar on the shaft.

They do look different, don't they?

Here's the back view of my El Toro's headstock, and these are definitely Schaller. The key shaft is obviously different and the worm gear threads are thicker on the El Toro's than the new Tookay. The mounting plate looks similar enough to appear to be screw hole compatible, but I don't have any actual measurements from the Tookey.

Hmm...

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby bdgotoh » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:01 pm

G&L has been fiddling with the ultralight tuners since about 2014. The latest version has polished aluminum posts vs the older satin finish. As you noticed, the clover shaft is thicker near the worm gear, which gives it that collar appearance. The clover shaft is also longer than they used to be for some reason, and they added a pin in the clover which is a nice improvement. I've swapped recent and 1990s tuners as an experiment without any problem.

They made some with tiny screws in the post gear and hollowed out the underside of the post gear but the tiny screw didn't last for some reason.

bdgotoh

Postby matbard » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:28 pm

On the website specs there is:

"NECK WOOD: Hard Rock Maple with Rosewood or Maple fingerboard"

But they stated that the fingerboard is maple only...
matbard

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:36 pm

matbard wrote:But they stated that the fingerboard is maple only...

Where did you see this? I'm curious because I re-read the Dealer's Update and Player's Update (they're the same and the source of my copy & paste up top) and could find no mention of the fingerboard being maple only.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:52 pm

derick wrote:What happened to the Schaller-made BML tuners? The "stalk" on these tuners is longer, and there's a collar on the shaft.

Yes, they changed suppliers to Ping Well.

Schaller is unable to consistently supply tuners, so G&L went elsewhere. There was a Schaller supply problem years ago around the time of the passing of one of the founders. This was when we were seeing Hipshot tuners on the basses. They kind of came back, but there has been even more family turmoil and the company appears to be coming apart. Kind of a shame to hear that one of the bastions of bass & guitar parts is heading south. Hipshot apparently has no interest in OEM-ing for anyone. So off we go to Asia.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:31 am

Those basses are freakin' sexy. Early 80's vibe with the quality of the current basses? Yummy!!
Mr. Mom

Return to G&L Basses