strings

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

strings

Postby nolimitzbass » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:43 am

I've got a question as to what strings the factory installs on L-2.5k basses, flatwound or roundwound, and what brand and gauge? Mine is a 2001 model. Thanks
nolimitzbass

Re: strings

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:44 pm

nolimitzbass wrote:I've got a question as to what strings the factory installs on L-2.5k basses, flatwound or roundwound, and what brand and gauge? Mine is a 2001 model. Thanks

I believe that in 2001 they were using SIT strings. Nickel rounds, light-medium gauge. Current strings are D'Addario nickel rounds, also in light-medium gauge. Let me know if you need exact numbers and I'll try to find out.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby nolimitzbass » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:17 pm

Thanks, I've been using Ken Smith Rockmaster Medium Light which have good tone and volume. Just thought about trying something new. Sometimes change is good.
nolimitzbass

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:39 pm

The strings I've gotten the best results from are Super Slinkys, Dunlop medium (actually a light medium), Thomastik-Infeld Powerbass, and Infeld Superalloys. The Slinkys sound great for a relatively inexpensive string. The Dunlops have great sound, but died young. Powerbass strings have a pretty aggressive tone, are fairly bright even after breakin, and are very long lasting. The Superalloys sound great and last a long time, and are what my L-2500 is currently wearing.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby plankspanker13 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:34 am

D'addario half-rounds are great for the JB-2 to tame the highs, unless you are going for that kind of sizzle deliberately. They are also a bit easier on your fingers, and that's important when playing a lot of gigs, as I have been lately.
plankspanker13

Return to G&L Basses