strings

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

No links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

strings

Postby nolimitzbass » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:43 am

I've got a question as to what strings the factory installs on L-2.5k basses, flatwound or roundwound, and what brand and gauge? Mine is a 2001 model. Thanks
nolimitzbass

Re: strings

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:44 pm

nolimitzbass wrote:I've got a question as to what strings the factory installs on L-2.5k basses, flatwound or roundwound, and what brand and gauge? Mine is a 2001 model. Thanks

I believe that in 2001 they were using SIT strings. Nickel rounds, light-medium gauge. Current strings are D'Addario nickel rounds, also in light-medium gauge. Let me know if you need exact numbers and I'll try to find out.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby nolimitzbass » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:17 pm

Thanks, I've been using Ken Smith Rockmaster Medium Light which have good tone and volume. Just thought about trying something new. Sometimes change is good.
nolimitzbass

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:39 pm

The strings I've gotten the best results from are Super Slinkys, Dunlop medium (actually a light medium), Thomastik-Infeld Powerbass, and Infeld Superalloys. The Slinkys sound great for a relatively inexpensive string. The Dunlops have great sound, but died young. Powerbass strings have a pretty aggressive tone, are fairly bright even after breakin, and are very long lasting. The Superalloys sound great and last a long time, and are what my L-2500 is currently wearing.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby plankspanker13 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:34 am

D'addario half-rounds are great for the JB-2 to tame the highs, unless you are going for that kind of sizzle deliberately. They are also a bit easier on your fingers, and that's important when playing a lot of gigs, as I have been lately.
plankspanker13

Return to G&L Basses