SB2 P/U height

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

SB2 P/U height

Postby pauldebass » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:04 pm

I Have a 90s USA 3 bolt neck SB2 that I'm not quite getting what I want out of it. Seems to lack a some bottom end. I really want to like this bass and have had it for some years. It seem to mostly stay in the practice room. I was thinking about P/U height and wondered what the factory standard was or if anyone had a height they settled on. I couldn't find anything on P/U height in any FAQs. It was funny looking at the Bass info on G&L. They still have the 3 bolt neck shown not that 6 bolt thing they're using now.
pauldebass

Re: SB2 P/U height

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:18 pm

pauldebass wrote:I Have a 90s USA 3 bolt neck SB2 that I'm not quite getting what I want out of it. Seems to lack a some bottom end. I really want to like this bass and have had it for some years. It seem to mostly stay in the practice room. I was thinking about P/U height and wondered what the factory standard was or if anyone had a height they settled on.

Mine's a '93, also with 3 bolts, and low end is definitely NOT a problem here.

E-A pickup has about 3/16" clearance and the poles are flush to the pickup body. The D-G pickup is about 1/8" under the G, and also with flush pole pieces. The pickup halves are tilted to partially accommodate the fingerboard radius.

I typically run the volumes no more than 80% for the neck and the bridge pickup NEVER more than the neck; usually a little less. Strings are non-SS rounds, in this case Infeld Superalloys.

I couldn't find anything on P/U height in any FAQs. It was funny looking at the Bass info on G&L. They still have the 3 bolt neck shown not that 6 bolt thing they're using now.

Yeah, that is kinda funny, isn't it? I believe the most recent info there is from the late 90's. The old G&L Owner's Manual, which covers both guitars and basses, can be used to get an instrument to more-or-less factory specs. The thought in mind here is that factory specs are generally a good starting point, after which fine tuning to the player's specs takes place.

BTW - got pics?

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: SB2 P/U height

Postby pauldebass » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:47 am

thanks, I think the bass side was down too far. Somehow ur spcs sounded familiar especially the bass side, maybe cuz of my L2000
here's the SB2 (the blue is a little deeper than the pic)
pauldebass

Return to G&L Basses