Hello and a question

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Hello and a question

Postby PluckyThump » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:53 am

Greetings to all from Canada, and thanks Ken for creating this site.

Somebody on the TB forum once said that the USA L-2500 neck has a slimmer profile than the Tribute L-2500 neck. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
PluckyThump

Re: Hello and a question

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:48 am

I doubt that this is the case for the current Tribute lineup. In fact, I've read in more than one place that the import necks are a little more baseball bat-ish than their USA counterparts. YMMV, of course. You might run into the occasional thin-necked L-2500 (mine is one of those), but those will tend to be USA basses.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby PluckyThump » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:20 am

Ken Baker wrote:You might run into the occasional thin-necked L-2500 (mine is one of those), but those will tend to be USA basses.

Ken...

So it's hit or miss then? Try before you buy I guess.
PluckyThump

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:48 am

PluckyThump wrote:So it's hit or miss then? Try before you buy I guess.

To a certain extent - mainly with the US basses - yeah, it's hit or miss. For the imports, consistency seems to be the rule.

I don't know how the manufacturing processes go in Indonesia, so I can't comment much. I'm certain that there's a lot of automation going on, and those necks do seem to be very consistent, so you're likely to see very little variance.

The Fullerton basses are roughed on the CNC machine and hand sanded from there. Because of the human involvement and the nature of the machinery in use, a little bit of variability is almost inherent. I couldn't tell you why the neck on mine ended up thinner. It could be anything from sanding out an imperfection in the wood to correcting a ding or nick. The difference isn't much if you're measuring it, but it's easy to feel in an A-B test.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Legasat » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:29 pm

They are offering some extra neck profiles on the guitar-side of the business (ie: shallow-C). I have not seen any of these extra neck profiles on the Bass-side.....yet.
Legasat

Postby bassman » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:15 pm

My USA L-2500 has a thick neck profile.
I agree that the Tribby stuff is more consistent. They probably set up a CNC and run all of the necks for a given model with one profile.

Bill
bassman

Return to G&L Basses