Strings for your G&L

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: Strings for your G&L

Postby jfh4242 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:10 pm

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to approach this from another point of view. For those who bought their G&L new, what didn't you like about the D'Addario EXL170 strings? Why did you change?

Not trying to knock these strings, I use them myself. I'm just wondering what people found missing from these strings, in conjonction with their G&L.

Thanks!

John
jfh4242
Global Mod

Postby TDR1138 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:36 pm

jfh4242 wrote:Hello everyone.

I'm trying to approach this from another point of view. For those who bought their G&L new, what didn't you like about the D'Addario EXL170 strings? Why did you change?

Not trying to knock these strings, I use them myself. I'm just wondering what people found missing from these strings, in conjonction with their G&L.

Thanks!

John

Having used the EXLs before, both installed by G&L and also on other basses, I personally find them to be very bright to start with, loses that brightness fairly quickly into somewhat of a dull tone, and are overall somewhat anemic. I do like D'Addario Half Rounds and Chromes, but for rounds, I've just found that DR strings sound fuller and last longer. Also have had good results with Rotosound and GHS strings. The EXLs feel just very "middle of the pack" to me.
TDR1138

Postby ODDBALL » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:23 am

Will DR Pure Blues fit on my L2500 through string through the body?

Thanks

Shaun
ODDBALL

Postby TDR1138 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:48 am

ODDBALL wrote:Will DR Pure Blues fit on my L2500 through string through the body?

Thanks

Shaun

I've used DR strings (though not Pure Blues) on a string-through L2500 with no issues before. I'd assume they're made to the same lengths as the Pure Blues.
TDR1138

Postby armybass@gnl » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:33 am

While I do like the XL170’s that come new on the G&Ls, I’ve really kinda settled on the DR Fat Beams as my number one round wound. The D’Addario XL170’s are my second choice and the LaBella Low Tension Flats are my choice for flats.
armybass@gnl

Postby Nedmundo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:32 am

On my G&Ls and other basses, I've found D'Addario XLs are fine, but not very inspiring. I agree with TDR1138's "middle of the pack" description. They're well made and consistent, but nothing special. I did love their recorded tone with my G&L JB, but I generally want more punch and "life" in my tone, and easily get it with DR strings, such as Fat Beams on my SB-2 and Sunbeams on my Fender Jazz. I also loved the tone of nickel Lo-Riders on the L-1500 I had for a few years.

I've also had excellent results with Dean Markley strings on my M-2500, which to my happy surprise came with THREE sets in the case! I first used the Helix set, which I thought was a nice upgrade over the XLs. I was very happy with those on several gigs. I recently installed an SR2000 set, which are similar but might be even better, with a nice balance of punch, warmth, clarity, and feel. They're a fantastic match for the M-2500. I'll probably try DR next, but I could easily stick with SR2000s.

My M-2500 briefly wore a set of DR flats, which are outstanding, but weren't right for a recording project I had at the time, so I went back to Dean Markley rounds. By the way, when I installed the flats, I cut the B string a little too short, so I asked DR about ordering a replacement. They just sent me one, no charge. Very cool folks.
Nedmundo

Postby TDR1138 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:24 pm

Nedmundo wrote:By the way, when I installed the flats, I cut the B string a little too short, so I asked DR about ordering a replacement. They just sent me one, no charge. Very cool folks.

Yeah, DR customer service is top notch. I emailed them a question years ago about a low B that wasn’t as clear as I expected, and they sent me a new one to try in the 1.30 gauge I had bought plus a 1.25 gauge to compare. And another time sent a replacement string for an E string that wasn’t holding in the tuner - it was cut long enough, Just wouldn’t stay wrapped. They sent me a B sting by mistake and I let them know, so they sent out the correct string plus about 2 dozen stickers. Always super helpful and friendly. I really do like their stings, but their customer service just puts them over the top in my book.
TDR1138

Postby mytilini » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:39 am

Hi all - Ken's info here very useful, thank you. I've fitted my August 2004 Korean-made fretted Tribute L-2000 with Picato 735LM 97360 long scale, nickel roundwound, medium gauge 0.040" 0.060" 0.075" 0.095" since first string change. Absolutely sweet, ringing, playable tones - feels great for me. But, a couple of questions please:
1). Is it likely that my bass manufactured in that era, would have had the D'Addario EXL170 45-65-80-100 (or equivalent model) sizes factory fitted? If not, does anyone know what size they would likely have been?
2). Why are D'Addario SO frequently fitted by manufacturers: I also have Cort, Ibanez, Spector & Yamaha models all factory-fitted - is it just price for the OEM or are THAT good?
My Picatos fitted the L-2000perfectly with no nut adjustment at all needed. Thanks for any info, cheers.
Ken Baker wrote:This is one of those posts that I've known should have been done, but was never done. Probably due to momentum. Or static friction. Or laziness. Pick one. Anyway, TDR1138 gave me one of his patented Nudges and here we are. Thanks, T!

Current G&L fretted 4 string basses ship with D'Addario EXL170 strings. Nickel. Regular Lights. 45-65-80-100. Long scale. Includes Tribute.
Current G&L fretted 5 string basses ship with D'Addario EXL170-5 strings. Nickel. Regular Lights. 45-65-80-100-130. Long scale. Includes Tribute.

Current G&L fretless 4 string basses ship with D'Addario ENR71 half-round strings. Nickel. Regular Lights. 45-65-80-100. Long scale.
Current G&L fretless 5 string basses ship with D'Addario ENR71-5 half-round strings. Nickel. Regular Lights. 45-65-80-100-130. Long scale.

All this is as of 9/2014. G&L being the guys that they are, this could all change on a moment's notice.

There are questions about different strings. Like, "Will I have to open up the nut slots if I move to a larger gauge?" or "Will I have to adjust the trussrod?" The answers are maybe and probably. Nice & precise, huh?

You have a certain amount of leeway with string gauge. G&Ls will typically handle a slightly larger string without having to file the nut. How much larger kinda depends. For most, it'll be unlikely that the nut needs filing.

Trussrod adjustment for a given action is all about string tension. Some string manufacturers (D'Addario, Thomastik, Circle) are listing their strings tension, so you can get an idea of what you're getting from what you've got. If you're changing strings to a different brand or type, plan on tweaking the trussrod a little. It probably won't take much of an adjustment.

Speaking of trussrods: US G&Ls have had three styles over the years. The original that is in Bi-Cut necks that compresses the neck, the first non-compression single action trussrod (Tribute too), and the current non-compression double action trussrod. Both non-compression rods are excellent. The double action adjustment will be smaller than the single action adjustment for a given deflection.

Oh! You might give this a read too, seeing as how you're probably changing strings.

That's about it. As always, this will end up being a work in progress. If something changes, I'll update as needed.

Got a favorite set of strings? Post up and let us know. How's the feel? Tension? Tone? Inquiring minds and all that.

There. Howzat?

Ken...
Best regards from the sunny U.K. ...?!?
mytilini

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:51 pm

mytilini wrote:Hi all - Ken's info here very useful, thank you. I've fitted my August 2004 Korean-made fretted Tribute L-2000 with Picato 735LM 97360 long scale, nickel roundwound, medium gauge 0.040" 0.060" 0.075" 0.095" since first string change. Absolutely sweet, ringing, playable tones - feels great for me. But, a couple of questions please:

I'm not at all familiar with the Picato strings. Those are pretty light gauge.

1). Is it likely that my bass manufactured in that era, would have had the D'Addario EXL170 45-65-80-100 (or equivalent model) sizes factory fitted? If not, does anyone know what size they would likely have been?

It was likely the EXL170s or similar. G&L has been quite consistent with the gauge over the years.

2). Why are D'Addario SO frequently fitted by manufacturers: I also have Cort, Ibanez, Spector & Yamaha models all factory-fitted - is it just price for the OEM or are THAT good?

It's probably a matter of price & availability. In the case of G&L, they also sound pretty good. Having said that, the instrument makers know that strings are a VERY subjective thing to players. Poke around here long enough and you'll find a very wide range of strings favored by players. I've personally done a lot of experimentation over the years and have landed on Infeld Super Alloys for rounds and Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats for flatwounds. Both are pretty expensive, but this is nicely offset by their long life.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Darrenms » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:40 pm

I used to use daddario xl's, great tone but i'd only get 2 gigs out of them, boil them 2 more gigs and bin them. They don't last long enough for me unfortunately. I went to Elixirs about 4 years ago and have never regretted it. i put a new set on the L2000 when it arrived in December and they are still going great after a dozen sweaty gigs, quite few rehearsals and countless hours sitting around at home learning songs.
Darrenms

PreviousNext

Return to G&L Basses