Strings for your G&L

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: Strings for your G&L

Postby Cue Zephyr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:29 am

I bought Rotosound Dropzones for my Tribute L-2000... 65-130 to be tuned to B-E-A-D. :D
G&L Tribute L-2000
Aspiring producer and musician
Bass, banjo, drums, guitar (A/E), mandolin, piano
Cue Zephyr

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:06 am

I've got a set of GHS Balanced Nickels coming my way.

Anybody else here use them?
Mr. Mom

Postby bassclef83 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:04 pm

I have D'addario Chromes on my Tribute L-2500. I get a really round "thud" w/ these. Excellent for fingerstyle/palm muting. I love the feel/tone of the DR Pure Blues and that's what I use on my US L-2500 which has the "SCM"(single coil mode), great for slapping
bassclef83

Postby TDR1138 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:42 am

I put some broken-in Chromes on my '89 L2k about a month ago, and I'm really enjoying them. Very punchy and focused, full sounding across all strings. I don't find them to be muddy at all.
TDR1138

Postby bigtone23 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:06 am

TDR1138 wrote:
fatherska wrote:I 've never played with flatwounds on my own bass. I love the nice deep growl I get with roundwounds on my L-1500.

Yet, the time seems to have come when I really ought to have a bass with flatwounds, to get a James Jamerson tone more easily. I've been contemplating ordering another L-1500 or another SB-1 (parted with a beloved '89 SB-1 a few years ago) to return to having a second bass - with flatwounds.

I've come to believe that La Bella Deep Talking Bass flatwounds (gauge 45-65-85-105) would be the right strings to ask for, so that the dealer would install them and set up the bass with these strings before I get possession of it.

I mainly play ska-rocksteady-reggae-dub plus some soul-Motown-funk. I always play fingerstyle. I describe my favourite roundwounds in this thread above.

The matter of ordering a second G&L bass aside, who can verify this set of La Bellas as a good string choice? Suggest better?

I had Chromes on a 1500 once. Frankly, I like flats, but Chromes aren’t my first choice – I think they tend to be a little honky sounding and a little rubbery feeling – but I thought they actually sounded pretty good on the 1500. I don’t think it gave it a dubby tone, by any means, but I did think that they reduced some of the overtones that I was getting with rounds.

If I were going for a dub sound, I’d lean toward something like the SB-1 or even an L-1000/L-2000, and I’d probably keep rounds on it. Flats will definitely thump for that Mowtown sound, but (IMO) tend to have a quicker decay than rounds do, and with a dub sound, I think the notes tend to sustain more.

If you want flats, I’d say flats on the 1500 and rounds on the SB-1. But that’s just my $0.02, and it’s worth half of what you paid for it. :D

La Bellas are great. I do like Chromes a lot, as they do have an old school tone, which is perfect for a SB1/P type bass for that old Motown sound. I have a set of them on my P bass.
I put a set of EB Cobalt Slinkys on my Peavey Foundation and really like them. They took a little longer to break in (were quite brighter than Chromes) but settled in nicely.
FWIW, I have an old, brown Boss LM-2B on my pedal board. It's set to not add volume or enhancement, but it does make my plunky flat wound basses sustain like rounds, when needed.
July 1983 El Toro. Rosewood, black, alder? body. 10 pounds.
bigtone23

Postby Jefflaserfist » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Has anyone used the dr Jonas Hellborg signature strings on you’re L2000 or asat. Was wanting some input on how they sound.
Jefflaserfist

Postby Band Mom » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:30 am

DR Fat Beams for both my L2K and ASAT bass. Roto flats on my JB-2. If I'm feeling saucy, I'll occasionally throw on some DR Pure Blues. Yeah, I know, not very adventurous.

And hi all to bassesbyleo! I'm over on talkbass as well, but decided to join up once I realized that all of my current basses are G&Ls and I don't see me parting with them anytime soon.
Band Mom

Postby mattrudy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:40 am

Does anyone know what strings come stock on the new USA L-2000s?
mattrudy

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:09 pm

mattrudy wrote:Does anyone know what strings come stock on the new USA L-2000s?

Right up at the top of this thread:

Current G&L fretted 4 string basses ship with D'Addario EXL170 strings. Nickel. Regular Lights. 45-65-80-100. Long scale. Includes Tribute.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby mattrudy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Ken Baker wrote:
mattrudy wrote:Does anyone know what strings come stock on the new USA L-2000s?

Right up at the top of this thread:

Current G&L fretted 4 string basses ship with D'Addario EXL170 strings. Nickel. Regular Lights. 45-65-80-100. Long scale. Includes Tribute.

Ken...

Thanks. Wasn’t sure if that was still up to date.
mattrudy

PreviousNext

Return to G&L Basses