Strings for your G&L

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: Strings for your G&L

Postby newbilong » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Deano wrote:Has anyone tried the Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky bass strings on a G&L? Someone gave me a set, and I'm contemplating putting them on my '82 L1000. Opinionswould be appreciated.

Oh boy, i bought Mr Mom's L2000 ("The Best Bass in The World"), which arrived with a set of flats on it - i'm not sure what they were - but they sounded a bit flat to me. i had a set of EB Cobalt Slinkies on another bass and swapped them over. Holy bejebus! things sound superb now. Massive deep tone, a bit of growl, and singing, harmonically rich highs.
newbilong

Postby jcburn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:04 pm

newbilong wrote:
Deano wrote:Has anyone tried the Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky bass strings on a G&L? Someone gave me a set, and I'm contemplating putting them on my '82 L1000. Opinionswould be appreciated.

Oh boy, i bought Mr Mom's L2000 ("The Best Bass in The World"), which arrived with a set of flats on it - i'm not sure what they were - but they sounded a bit flat to me. i had a set of EB Cobalt Slinkies on another bass and swapped them over. Holy bejebus! things sound superb now. Massive deep tone, a bit of growl, and singing, harmonically rich highs.

I'll second this. Incredible tone. I love both the tone and feel of Cobalt rounds, they just have a "wet rust" smell after a sweaty gig that I don't like.
jcburn

Postby falcon5 » Thu May 09, 2019 1:37 am

I'm a huge fan of D'Addario EXP Reds on my ASAT Semi-Hollow. The tone gets even more acoustic, they are bright but not sharp, strong bass and thanks to the coating they feel smooth and last long (same tone a long period, than they get dull quickly - thats the time to change them). One of the best things for me: the copper-LOOK!

sad fact: they are not produced any more :( So please D'Addario, come on, please put them back in your lineup.
falcon5

Postby falcon5 » Thu May 09, 2019 1:38 am

sad fact: they are not produced any more :( So please D'Addario, come on, please put them back in your lineup.

does anybody know a good replacement?
falcon5

Postby Ken Baker » Thu May 09, 2019 10:30 am

falcon5 wrote:sad fact: they are not produced any more :( So please D'Addario, come on, please put them back in your lineup.

does anybody know a good replacement?

At first I was thinking TI Acoustic Bass strings. Then I remembered that they are for piezo pickups ONLY and will not work with magnetic pickups because they are totally non-ferrous. Also along the lines of phosphor bronze strings is D'Addario's regular Phosphor Bronze product and their coated phosphor bronze strings. These have a steel inner core, so should work well with both piezo and magnetic pickups. I wonder if these are a renamed version of the "Reds" you mention.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby falcon5 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:45 am

Thanks for the Phosphor Bronze Tip, I will try and report. But I don't think that this is only a renaming, but a different coating material (Phosphor Bronze = copper+tin+phosphorus alloy).
falcon5

Postby daveplaysbass » Mon May 20, 2019 2:01 pm

I ran LaBella 760FLs for a year on my "decked out" L2K. After all the wiring mods, parallel seemed to sound the best to my ears. I liked the the LaBella's a lot. They tamed the clankiness, smooth for slides, nice tension, and sounded great standing in front of an amp when playing with a band. However, some recordings sounded a little dark and I decided I wanted to try some different flats.

I debated between TI and Sadowsky Blue Flats and decided to try the newest formulation of Sadowsky Flats. I have run TIs on other G&Ls and they are fine. But the Sadowsky Flat reviews mentioned "reasonable tension" and "good definition" for flats. So I just ordered and installed 40-100 Blue Flats (they don't make Black anymore and the Blues are the post Jan 2018 formulation). So far they are new but the definition is there. Tension is what I would expect from 40-100. Action went low without buzzing. What is interesting is how I am really liking these in SC and OMG modes. With the 760FLs, SC modes were a little thin and the OMG was a little muddy. The Blues sound good in all 4 coil arrangements (parallel, inner SC, outer SC, OMG). We will see how the highs change as they age but so far they are voiced somewhere between TIs and Chromes to my ears. And have more going on in the upper mids, lower treble than the 760FLs.

6/22/2019: I am trying to like these strings. They have a metallic sound that reminds me of Chromes. I wish I had spent the money on TIs. May be heading that direction soon...
Last edited by daveplaysbass on Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
daveplaysbass

Postby soulman969 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:11 am

GHS Pressurewounds have been on my Jazz Bass for around 8 years now. Not the same set though. ;)

When I bought my L2500 I tried a set of DR Pure Blues but find I like the Pressurewounds much better. With the tonal range of the MFDs I found even nickel rounds to be a bit too bright and clanky for me. Pressurewounds have become my Goldilocks string for my dual pickup basses and LaBella DTF on my PBass for '60s/'70s R&B/Soul type stuff.

And to answer a question posed long ago the Pressurewound M7200-5 set work just fine on my L2500 with a string through installation. No problem with length at all.
soulman969

Postby godblender » Thu May 23, 2019 9:10 am

I discovered Dunlop Super Brights (nickel plated) a couple years back and they've been my go to ever since. I'd always played higher tension strings but the Super Brights' lower tension was a bit of a revelation for me and I found them better feeling for finger playing. I use them on my L2000 and my jazz bass.
godblender

Postby ewe2 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:45 pm

I started with the default strings on my 2012 Tribute SB-2 but it was way too bright so went to GHS pressurewounds and it was much better, I used those for a couple of years. Then I decided I wanted a more fundamental tone and thus I now have GHS precision flats. You have to play them in to take off the shine a bit, but they are great, tension is relaxed and very responsive to the range of the bass. It's going to be hard to decide exactly when I'll need new strings, a year on and they are working perfectly for me. If I get a G&L JB I would look at the pressurewounds again, I think they'd really work with a Jazz type bass.
ewe2

Previous

Return to G&L Basses