Markth30 - L-2000 discussion

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: Markth30 - L-2000 discussion

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:51 pm

Markth30 wrote:At first I tested it with no black leads at all and the treble pot didn't work.

So I added them all like so, numbered for ease of discusion.
#1 and #2 connected to the switch only, sharing the same connectors as the leads to ground.
#3 connected to the treble pot, from the connector that shares #2 above and the lead to ground.

If leaving the treble pot lead, #3 in my picture, doesn't harm anything then I'm inclined to just leave it alone.

How does the treble pot effect the tone with black leads #1 and #2, but not #3?

And this is where that Internet thing comes in.

This has been visually confusing for me - sorry. I've been trying to follow what you're doing and having the original switch in the discussion made it tough. Again, sorry.

#1 & #2 provide grounding for the pickup.

#3 is also needed. One lug of the treble pot needs to be grounded for the control to work. It is common for that lug to get bent up to the can and soldered down. This means that the can needs to be grounded for the control to work. You've found that the lead you disconnected killed the treble control, so you hooked it back up. Good job!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Markth30 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:01 pm

Ha dumb luck!

I will leave well enough alone now.

Ken thank you so much for helping me
Markth30

Postby Markth30 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:56 pm

I'm concerned the treble pot cut is weaker sounding than before. I might be tripping but it seems to cut much less.

I've combined these two diagrams

The pickup wires from this one
http://www.bassesbyleo.com/images/l2500/modded/l_2500_series_single_parallel_for_active.pdf

With the black pot wires from this one.
http://www.bassesbyleo.com/images/g&l_tech/l-2000/l2k_wiring_diagram.pdf

Maybe I don't need the black wire that connects to the two lugs on the switch like a loop? Or I have them in the wrong place?
Markth30

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:11 pm

I changed your IMG tags to URL tags for the PDFs you're linking.

Markth30 wrote:I'm concerned the treble pot cut is weaker sounding than before. I might be tripping but it seems to cut much less.

Relative stuff here. Is it cutting less or is there more treble due to other things going on in the circuit? So long as you didn't make any functional changes to the way the pot connects to the circuit, it's probably working as it should.

Connected between the center lug of the pot and a ground point is a little green capacitor. This cap, in combination with the variable value of the pot, is what cuts the treble. This cap's value is .047 microfarads (mfd). If you replace it with a .1mfd 50v cap, you should increase the treble cut noticeably. Polyester caps are available in most electronics shops or online. A ceramic cap of the proper value would also work just fine. You do NOT need a huge Orange Drop cap here. Just a simple small cap of the appropriate value will do.

Maybe I don't need the black wire that connects to the two lugs on the switch like a loop? Or I have them in the wrong place?

These are fine. Just leave them.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Markth30 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:20 am

Sounded like it was cutting less than the bass cut pot, not that the treble has increased. I'll double check everything.

BTW i made this in mspaint
does it look correct to you
Last edited by Markth30 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markth30

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:59 pm

Looks good, though you've tripled up on a ground connection where a single lead would be better.

Those two green leads you show that run from the two left-middle switch lugs to the volume pot can are duplicated by my single black lead that runs to the treble pot. I'd recommend only the black lead or only one of the green leads. The jumper that connects the two left-middle switch lugs should remain.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Markth30 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:24 pm

I see. Glad I drew this up bc this is what I've been struggling to ask. It confused me to look at one diagram missing the black tone pot lead and try to get it all going.

So I can remove the two green leads that run from the two left-middle switch lugs to the volume pot?

Keep only the black lead to the tone pot and the jumper that connects the two left-middle switch lugs.
By jumper you mean the black lead that connects the two left-middle switch lugs?
Markth30

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:38 pm

Markth30 wrote:So I can remove the two green leads that run from the two left-middle switch lugs to the volume pot?

Yup.

By jumper you mean the black lead that connects the two left-middle switch lugs?

Yup.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Markth30 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:32 pm

Ok that helped. The treble pot cuts a little more now. I'll update the pic later.

Here's the updated wiring diagram

Thanks
Markth30

Postby cristiano49 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:36 pm

Ken Baker wrote:Image

The caps each have one lead connected to the switch. The remaining leads of both are twisted together and connected to a ground point (probably a pot can). If it were my bass and I wanted to explore disconnecting these caps, I'd disconnect from the ground point or clip as close as possible to that connect point. Then tuck the free end away so that it can't touch anything.

Ken...

I can ask you if this photo is of an original l2000 4 cordless non-k series, I'm looking for information to restore the l2000 exactly as it leaves the factory thanks to the collaboration Cristiano
cristiano49

PreviousNext

Return to G&L Basses