Markth30 - L-2000 discussion

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: Markth30 - L-2000 discussion

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:01 pm

In the diagram for my L-2500, the green leads from both pickups go to ground. Additionally, there are two MORE green leads that run from the switch to ground. All are separate, all are necessary.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Markth30 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:08 pm

Ok after taking a sanity break and going back to it I think I'm getting it.
Looking at the diagrams make more sense to me now that I've realized the back of the switch is opposite the front.

So I'll add Leads from the switch to ground.

Switch the top two black and yellow leads so that it goes from top to bottom ....
Yellow
Black
Black
Yellow

Add leads to connect the top two, and bottom two, connectors on the switch.

So here's some questions...

In this pic of the diagram you linked

Will the left side of the BACK of the switch be single coil, b/c the inner coil positions are grounded?
The middle position is parallel?
And the right position Series, b/c the coils are connected by leads?

Can I snip the little bare metal lead connectors from the old switch and place them into the new one or should I use pickup wires?

Thanks!
Mark
Last edited by Markth30 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Markth30

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:58 pm

Markth30 wrote:In this pic of the diagram you linked

Will the left side of the BACK of the switch be single coil, b/c the inner coil positions are grounded?
The middle position is parallel?
And the right position Series, b/c the coils are connected by leads?

If you're trying to reference switch position to where the leads go, you might save that for later. While it is part of the deal, it's not that important at this stage.

I'm working from memory here (don't have the bass in front of me). As you look at the top of the bass with the toggle sticking through, flipping the switch toward the neck should be parallel. Middle is single coil and toward the bridge is series. Might have parallel and series backward, but middle IS single coil.

Can I snip the little bare metal lead connectors from the old switch and place them into the new one or should I use pickup wires?

If you snip them out, they won't be long enough for the new switch. Use some fresh scrap wire. Doesn't have to be bare unless you want it that way.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Markth30 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:20 pm

So close

Here it is with all the wires moved over to the new switch, copied from the diagram above.
Black leads from treble cut pot still attached to old switch.

What do I do with the black leads that go from the treble cut pot?

I attached them to the connectors that hooked up to the ground leads.

I think it works
Last edited by Markth30 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markth30

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:47 pm

Markth30 wrote:So close

Here it is with all the wires moved over to the new switch, copied from the diagram above.
Black leads from treble cut pot still attached to old switch.
http://imgur.com/okZLmXP

What do I do with the black leads that go from the treble cut pot?

Ken the admin and chief cook & bottle washer wrote:It is extremely hard to see what you're talking about. I don't have the bass in front of me and images are rarely detailed enough. Also, it'll be helpful if you use phpBB IMG tags to the actual image URL rather than a link to the imgur page. Imgur works just fine this way, but you have to get the image URL (right click on image, copy image location). If the image is formatted to 1024x768, which is ideal for this board, it will display inline in your post. This is a whole different world than Reddit/Imgur and a helluva lot better for tech stuff like this, but it takes a little more work on the part of the poster.

Thanks...

If I recall correctly, that black lead is ground for the old switch and connects from the old switch to the can of the treble pot. If this is correct, you can remove this black ground lead going to the old switch. You should retain any other black leads connecting to the treble pot can.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Markth30 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:31 pm

Thanks updated bbcode

So the black lead going to the treble pot can should stay, and the little black lead that connects to the two grounded switch connectors can go?

I was surprised at how close to parallel the single coil sound is.
Markth30

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:31 pm

Markth30 wrote:Thanks updated bbcode

Thanks! That's much better.

So the black lead going to the treble pot can should stay, and the little black lead that connects to the two grounded switch connectors can go?

The black lead that goes to your old switch can be removed, as it does not need to be replicated on the new switch. Any other black lead should stay.

I was surprised at how close to parallel the single coil sound is.

Play with the controls a bit and you should find some new sounds. The difference isn't huge (that's part of the magic of the MFDs), but it's there.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Markth30 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:04 am

Sorry, the new switch doesn't need to be directly connected to the treble pot,
Or the new switch doesn't need the other black lead that just connects to two parts of the switch like a loop?

Yes I imagined it would sound like a traditional jazz bass, despite knowing better. After fiddling with it I can hear how to use it. Definitely a worthwhile mod and hard to believe they don't come from the a factory with that feature.

I hear the single coil noise you mentioned as well, especially with the preamp on with treble boost. Don't care yet. May re-do it as a true K schematic in the future.
Markth30

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:25 am

Markth30 wrote:Sorry, the new switch doesn't need to be directly connected to the treble pot

This.
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Markth30 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:22 pm

At first I tested it with no black leads at all and the treble pot didn't work.

So I added them all like so, numbered for ease of discusion.
#1 and #2 connected to the switch only, sharing the same connectors as the leads to ground.
#3 connected to the treble pot, from the connector that shares #2 above and the lead to ground.

If leaving the treble pot lead, #3 in my picture, doesn't harm anything then I'm inclined to just leave it alone.

How does the treble pot effect the tone with black leads #1 and #2, but not #3?

Thanks
Mark
Markth30

PreviousNext

Return to G&L Basses