Markth30 - L-2000 discussion

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: Markth30 - L-2000 discussion

Postby Markth30 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:53 pm

I have a few questions...

The leads for the series/parallel switch in the picture above look very different than the bottom of this 3 way on/on/on switch http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... -ND/259886.
Is this the right switch and I'm looking at an additional piece that sits on top of the switch?

Next question(s).
The series/parallel switch controls the wiring per pickup. But how are the pickups wired in relation to each other?
I'm guessing parallel.
And if so, is it possible to add series wiring as an option for both pickups in relation to each other?

Thanks!
Markth30

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:08 pm

Markth30 wrote:The leads for the series/parallel switch in the picture above look very different than the bottom of this 3 way on/on/on switch http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... -ND/259886.
Is this the right switch and I'm looking at an additional piece that sits on top of the switch?

It could be the right or wrong switch, depending on what you want to do. What are you trying to do?

The series/parallel switch controls the wiring per pickup.

Nope. The stock series/parallel switch controls both pickups. That why there are so many soldering lugs.

But how are the pickups wired in relation to each other? I'm guessing parallel.

Correct.

And if so, is it possible to add series wiring as an option for both pickups in relation to each other?

Maybe using a circuit similar to the El Toro bass, but there would be trade-offs. However, doing this would give you a bass that is uncontrollably hot. Your amp's input section would be very unhappy with you. This sort of thing works okay for some pickups (like the El Toro's), but those pickups are way less powerful than the L series soapbars.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Markth30 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:20 am

I intend on adding the K wiring mod. Splitting the coils for outer singles.
Markth30

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:56 am

That's what I thought, but the double pole switch you linked above made me wonder.

The double pole switch would be used in this or this circuit. These circuits provide series/single/parallel control for each pickup individually.

If all you're after is to replace your current coil select switch for the single coil mod (it's not really a "K" circuit), you'd need the CK 7411SYZQE switch. It's like two of the 7211 switches in one.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Markth30 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:33 pm

Yes I wanted to replace the series/parallel switch with series/coil tap/parallel
Markth30

Postby Markth30 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:46 pm

I pulled the pickup out and realized I don't know where to connect the blue wire, (among other things).

When looking at it I see the green lead in the upper-righthand corner of the pickup.
And a green lead at the lower-lefthand corner of the baseplate with the rest of the leads going into the cavity.

Does everything stay as is and I simply add the blue lead to the bottom left and send it into the cavity?
Does the placement of the blue lead matter to which coils I plan on tapping, outer coils in my case?

Thanks
Markth30

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Markth30 wrote:I pulled the pickup out and realized I don't know where to connect the blue wire, (among other things).

Does everything stay as is and I simply add the blue lead to the bottom left and send it into the cavity?
Does the placement of the blue lead matter to which coils I plan on tapping, outer coils in my case?

Blue goes to ground in the circuit. Doesn't matter where. Just pick up a ground point.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Markth30 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:42 pm

Ok so I can just add the blue wire to the already existing wires soldered to the lower left corner of the pickup back play, then lead them through the cavity and attach to the components from there?

Thanks
Markth30

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Wait a minute...

I just woke with the realization that you're adding blue leads to the pickups. Is that correct? If so, you didn't need to. So many people refer to modding their L Series basses to provide single coil as the "K" mod that I don't even pause to consider how they're doing it.

Your original pickups have a white lead, a black lead; a green lead, and a yellow lead. The white, black, and yellow leads run from their coil connections directly to the control cavity. The green lead has a short little jumper that runs from its coil connection to one corner of the back plate. Connected to the opposite corner of the back plate is a longer green lead that runs to the control cavity.

The "K" model pickups have a white lead, a black lead; a green lead, a yellow lead; and a blue lead. The white, black, green and yellow leads run from their coil connections directly to the control cavity. There is NO short little green jumper that runs from its coil connection to one corner of the back plate; green goes directly to the cavity. Connected to one corner of the back plate is a blue lead that runs to the control cavity.

Why the difference? In the original pickups, the back plate in circuit with the green/yellow coil causes a tiny little weensie impedance imbalance. This impedance imbalance can cause the pickup pair to be a tiny, little, weensie bit less than humbucking, and it might be noticeable in single coil mode. The back plate needs to be grounded to help keep things quiet. So Paul, being smarter than the average bear, brought the green lead out directly from its coil and added the blue lead to ground the back plate. In practical application, this means that a true "K" model may be a tiny, little, weensie bit quieter in single coil mode.

So, if you have your heart set on true "K" wiring, here's how it should work at the pickup. You'll need to carefully desolder and remove the short green jumper from the coil to the back plate. Now carefully solder a long green lead to the coil in its place. Replace the long green lead from the back plate with a blue lead of roughly equal length. The actual coil wire is extremely easy to break, so you have to be extremely careful not to do that. If you were successful, you now have a "K" model pickup. Repeat for the other one.

I assume you've got a "K" wiring diagram. If not, it's here.

My fingers are getting hoarse.

Want to do a single coil mod without properly adding the blue leads? Use this circuit. No, it's not the full circuit; it's from my L-2500 that uses a different preamp. All you need to do is follow from the pickups to the coil select switch and then to the pickup select switch. Don't change anything else.

Good luck!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Markth30 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Thanks
I'll take the easy route

Still hard for me
I cracked it open again, realized I don't know which pickup the wires are leading from bc it's a hole, assuming top is top and bottom is bottom.

In your pic the green wires go to ground then back to the series/parallel switch. In mine they just go to ground.

Thanks for your patience. I'm losing mine
Markth30

PreviousNext

Return to G&L Basses