Markth30 - L-2000 discussion

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Markth30 - L-2000 discussion

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:28 pm

Markth30 wrote:I have some research to do though. Series mode is buzzy, maybe due to those extra caps, and I want to do the K wiring mod for outer coils.

The OMG caps will do that, and a lot of people just clip them out. Should be easy enough to do, as they can be seen in the photo of the cavity. Nothing else needs to be done other than carefully clipping the leads and removing them. Instant quiet.

We have a few circuits to do the single coil mod. Check out the BassesByLeo front page.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: Markth30 - L-2000 discussion

Postby Markth30 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks Len I just noticed this

So those are OMG caps they added to the series, odd.

I was wondering if the pickup selection and active/passive switching was still available when in tapped single coil mode.
Markth30

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:04 pm

Markth30 wrote:So those are OMG caps they added to the series, odd.

If you're not familiar with it, this was referred to in marketing as "Bass Boost". The reality is that they don't boost bass, but sink off a big chunk of treble. This is in addition to any treble cut applied by the treble control. A few years ago, the setting became known as Oh My God!, or OMG mode. These were the caps that supplied that extra treble cut. It's all relative.

As I noted before, these caps are connected to just one of the two coils in the pickup. This causes an impedance imbalance, which causes a little bit of single coil noise. Clip out the caps and the coils are back in balance and quiet, but without the OMG.

Another thing, if you're not familiar: The G&L L series basses are not full active instruments. There is a more-or-less standard passive circuit, including treble and bass controls, that feed a defeatable preamp. This means that the treble & bass controls are cut only. There is no boost applied by the controls. The only true active boost comes from switching in the treble boost selection on the passive/active switch.

I was wondering if the pickup selection and active/passive switching was still available when in tapped single coil mode.

Yes. You should be able to set pickup select and coil select independently. One setting does not disable the other with this circuit.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Markth30 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:49 am

Thanks
Yes the extent of my wiring experience is swapping precision bass pickups.

So it sounds like the OMG cap isn't going to do anything that I'm interested in. Need to find some l1000 sound clips to hear for myself.

With active+treble, there's a high end EQ boost.
Is active then just an overall flat boost?
Markth30

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:55 am

Markth30 wrote:Is active then just an overall flat boost?

Kinda-sorta. Active mode, without the treble boost, adds a tiny bit of gain across the frequency spectrum. No tone shaping; it's really transparent. The most important job the preamp does (when active) is lower the output impedance of the bass, which allows for long cable runs with the associated tone suck.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby TDR1138 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:28 pm

Just a thought here, before you go clipping caps out...

The stock L-2000 OMG mode has the neck coil of each pickup run thru the cap and the bridge coil of each pickup without the cap. What this does is make both bridge-side coils, which are wound in the same direction, the coil where you hear the treble, and subsequently the hum. So, you have two coils humming, and get twice the hum. I'll have to look for the "how to" when I'm not posting on my phone, but you can move the ground of one of the caps so that opposite coils are selected - i.e. Inner coils have caps and outers don't, or vice versa. This will allow the hum canceling when both pups are on. There are subtle differences depending on which coils you select to use. My L-2000 and L-2500 have the caps grounding the outer coils, and both are dead silent when both pickups are selected.

Edit: https://home.comcast.net/~carol7david/GL_Wiring.doc
This is the document that discusses the "how to" for these mods. See item #4 in the doc for what I'm talking about. Looks more complicated than it really is, assuming you can solder. It's really just moving the ground lug of one of the caps.
Last edited by TDR1138 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TDR1138

Postby Markth30 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Are you able to see which caps are OMG in this pic?

Sorry for the noob questions, this is way more complicated than a p bass :p
Markth30

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

The caps each have one lead connected to the switch. The remaining leads of both are twisted together and connected to a ground point (probably a pot can). If it were my bass and I wanted to explore disconnecting these caps, I'd disconnect from the ground point or clip as close as possible to that connect point. Then tuck the free end away so that it can't touch anything.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Markth30 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:06 am

Thanks for the arrows

I found this link which has great sound clips of each option.
http://www.brandnewanalogues.com/jt/l2k-basstaster/
Markth30

Postby Markth30 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:01 pm

I disconnected the lead from the cap

Big difference in the tone, especially when the treble boost is on.
More raw.

Baby steps
Markth30

Next

Return to G&L Basses