Where is the G&L Tribute Factory?

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Where is the G&L Tribute Factory?

Postby ace81 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:33 am

hi, i know that the g&L Tribute basses did made by Cort in Soerabaya (Indonesia). there's a Picture or a factory tour video of this factory?
my G&L gear:
-G&L Sb-1
-G&L L-2500
ace81

Re: Where is the G&L Tribute Factory?

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:46 am

They are indeed made by Cort in Indonesia. The same factory also builds guitars and basses for other companies as well.

A factory pictorial or video tour of the Indonesian plant isn't available from G&L unless Cort has done such a thing for their overall factory.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby mytilini » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:55 am

Hi - first-time poster here, so forgive any errors! I too had only found out within the last 6 months that G&L's Tribute were made by Cort...! I was amazed by this: I bought my Tribute L-2000 in c.2004/2005 after I'd tried seven examples of this bass in 5 different music shops over here in the U.K. They were ALL utterly SUPERB...so I ordered the natural blonde with maple neck+fingerboard at my local music shop in complete confidence. This is the only bass (amongst Spector, Ibanez, Yamaha) that I own, which I've never had to change the setup on. After the factory-supplied strings were changed for my preferred Picatos, I just play this thing, year in, year out - not a great number of gigging nights, but it is the most reliable, stable, go-to bass I own.
So, my question is - do you believe it's because of Cort build-quality, G&L design, or both? Reason is, I'm considering adding a Cort GB74JJ to my stable (I love the Jazz bass shape & blue colour!) - do you think it's fair to assume that the Cort brand would be just as good?
Looking forward to your views, thanks!
mytilini

Postby bdgotoh » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:30 am

I don't know much about Cort but USA G&Ls have been amazing instruments right from the start in 1980.

If you love your L2000 and want a Jazz just as nice why not go for a G&L Tribute JB?

http://glguitars.com/product/jb-3/
bdgotoh

Postby mytilini » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:47 am

A great suggestion, thanks! Love the Lake Placid Blue one... damn - another to be put on the wants list!!! :lol:
mytilini

Postby b17krk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:23 am

I've been looking at the Tribute JB's myself but for some reason they don't seem to be available here in the UK. You can pick up a Tribute JB-2 instead but it doesn't have the same aesthetics as the JB. Likewise it's a similar story for the Tribute series LB-100.
Kirk

Proud Tribute L-2000 Plus owner
b17krk

Postby mytilini » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:45 am

Hi Kirk - as a fellow Brit, have you tried Thomann? I spotted a U.S. Margarita on their website...?
Best regards from the sunny U.K. ...?!?
mytilini

Postby b17krk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:00 pm

mytilini wrote:Hi Kirk - as a fellow Brit, have you tried Thomann? I spotted a U.S. Margarita on their website...?

Yeah I stumbled across that one too, and although it looks cool in that colour, it's way too garish for my tastes!

I also usually like to try out all my instruments before I part with any money, but as this one's located in Germany it makes doing that a little awkward :D
Kirk

b17krk

Postby mytilini » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:58 am

Morning Kirk - yes, I fully understand why you do that...I adopt the same policy. That's how I settled on the blonde Tribute L-2000 that I bought. I s'pose the only good thing about Thomann is their excellent returns policy; if you don't like it you can send it back fir a full refund. But I'm biased as I'm half-German anyway - lol!
But are you REALLY having so many issues sourcing an JB here in the U.K. - what about advice / action from the main importers?
Best regards from the sunny U.K. ...?!?
mytilini

Postby b17krk » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:07 pm

mytilini wrote:Morning Kirk - yes, I fully understand why you do that...I adopt the same policy. That's how I settled on the blonde Tribute L-2000 that I bought. I s'pose the only good thing about Thomann is their excellent returns policy; if you don't like it you can send it back fir a full refund. But I'm biased as I'm half-German anyway - lol!
But are you REALLY having so many issues sourcing an JB here in the U.K. - what about advice / action from the main importers?

This is an avenue I haven't explored as yet, but if truth be told I'm not currently in a position to be seriously considering any new purchases at this time. Let's just say that I've been doing a little window shopping for when that time comes! ;)
Kirk

b17krk

Next

Return to G&L Basses