L-5500....the "Un-G&L" ?

This is the support forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere. Discussion of pricing of used instruments (What's It Worth?) is perfectly fine so long as it doesn't turn into a sales feeler. However, as per G&L policy, there can be no discussion of new instrument pricing. Please contact your favorite dealer and kindly keep the quote to yourself.

L-5500....the "Un-G&L" ?

Postby tyler durden » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:34 pm

The neck, bridge, and tuners are about all these sexy beasts share with their sibling G&L fivers. With their EMG DC40's and BTC array, they are a totally different species, and a remarkable departure from tradition for a company like G&L. Even the body is shaped differently, sleeker.

I like me some MFD, but the 5500's organ-like clarity on the low notes calls to me like a redheaded siren. Call me a heretic but I'll take a 5500 over a 2500 any day.

tyler durden

Re: L-5500....the "Un-G&L" ?

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:12 pm

Interesting. I've seen a couple, picked one up, but have never played one.

Do you think the weight thing that most folks bitch about is justified? G&L L series basses have had, in general, a weighty reputation up until recently when they thinned the bodies down to industry standards. But the 5500 has been spoken of as, well, a boat anchor. Of course, that weight can also do wonders to the tone.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby TDR1138 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:49 am

If I could find one for a decent enough price, I'd probably pick one up, too. MFDs are wonderful in their own right, but sometimes, I just want something a little different... The last/only time I've seen one in person was about 15 years ago, brand new in a shop, behind a counter where young meddling hands like mine couldn't get ahold of it without the overly-leery shopkeeper hovering over your every move... Needless to say, I didn't play it...
TDR1138

Postby tyler durden » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:13 pm

Both mine were ten-pounders, but I can imagine how they could run heavier in some cases.

I'd love to find a sub-9lb example. (fat chance!)
tyler durden

Postby El Tookay » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:20 am

The only one i've played was a trans green one that made a Stingray 5 seem svelte. Massive bass with a massive tone, the EMG's have their own sound that is clearly not MFD, more of that clean, even EMG tone that some people love and others call sterile.
El Tookay

Postby bassman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:35 pm

I played one when they came out I think this was about 1995 or 96. I even thought that I had a deal to buy it, but it was sold out from under me.

It was actually considered a prototype, since it had no serial number. It was clear green over ash and it was no lightwieght.

I saw one more and then none since. They are not your normal G&L bass. They have a very clean EMG sound, which I like on a current Tobias bass that I bought several months ago that has the same type of EMG bass humbuckers on it.
bassman

Postby Mick Markey » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:01 pm

I have had a few of these, and all were heavy, and they all never quite gave me the tone I was after.

Though, thinking about it now, I'd love to try one of these with some drop in Bartolinis !
Mick Markey

Postby TDR1138 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:47 am

I guess Seymour Duncan is now offering their NYC pickups from the Foderas to the general public (review in the newest Bass Player), which supposedly are direct fit for the EMG DC40's... That might make a pretty cool upgrade...
TDR1138

Return to G&L Basses